Independent school preparation

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
prospect

Independent school preparation

Post by prospect »

Hi all

My son is at a prep school, currently in year 4 and I would like to know when is it sensible to start preparing for the senior school Indie exams. I anticipate hiring a tutor at some point to focus on the English and Maths skills required?

Also, if anybody knows of a good tutor in the South Woodford, Woodford Green, Buckhust Hill area I would be grateful if you could kindly direct message me their contact details.

Kind regards

Prospect :D
hermanmunster

Re: Independent school preparation

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Prospect

Prep schools vary - some go through to 11 while others go on to 13? Which is yours?

If the schools goes to 11 then I think you should discuss with the school about preparation as they should be heavily involved in the transfer to other independent schools. They should advise you on which schools are appropriate, what is needed and how you can prepare

If it is an "up to 13 school" and you want to transfer at 11 (and many people do do this all around the country) then you may or may not get help and advice from the school - depends really on how keen they are to keep kids to 13.
prospect

Post by prospect »

Thanks for the prompt response Hermanmunster, he will be leaving at 11.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

has the school had discussions with you about the senior schools?
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Prospect - have a read of London-Dad's post on the thread ' Preparing for North London Consortium' - it is a fantastic post of what your prep school should be doing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now