advice on Independent school admission

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mlav

advice on Independent school admission

Post by mlav »

Hi All,

My DD has been offere a full paying seat in Indie. Thats been his dream school. We cannot afford the full paying seat, applied expecting some scholarship. Is there anyway i can talk to the school and see if we can get some help. Anyone done it before. Need advice on this

Thanks,
L
eal238

Re: advice on Independent school admission

Post by eal238 »

My experience of applying to indie is that you apply for a bursary at the same time as applying for the school itself...

Did you apply for a scholarship and/or bursary at the time of applying for the school?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

This is a tricky one. It is not clear from your posting whether or not you have applied for a bursary or a scholarship although you say it is the latter.

Your income will determine whether or not you would qualify for a bursary. Did you apply for this when you submitted the application form? If not, you could try contacting the bursary but they are likely to have allocated the money elsewhere; they might just say you were too late with the application.

If you did not apply/did not qualify for a bursary but were expecting a scholarship, then you should have been better advised. I don't think anyone should apply with the expectation of a scholarship - these are very few and you do not know the ability of the other candidates so you cannot know how well he fared in comparison.

Scholarships are usually token awards, although up to 50% is the highest I have heard of, but that is only reserved for the highest candidates in the entrance exam. Most are low or very low and are unlikely to make the difference you expect.

I am unclear as to whether this is your son or your daughter as you put DD but refer to the child as "his" rather than "her". Sorry if I got it wrong.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now