NLCS vs Tiffin Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pandora123

Re: NLCS vs Tiffin Girls

Post by Pandora123 »

At the end of the day it comes down to money. If this is not an issue I would say go for NLCS.

I agree it is a slick operation which produces the results. It has an almost American feel with focus on style over substance when it comes to public image. I remember the first talk I went to started off with x number of reasons why you would want your daughter to come here. At the end of it I had no clue what she'd be studying. In comparison the talk at LEH was painful and long but at the end of it I knew exactly what my daughter would be exposed to.

I do think the school over does the sales talk which can be quite annoying but at the end of the day it produces the results. Also as the Good School Guide mentions the fees are quite low based on what is offered.

Just a thought maybe they have to over hype as there are a number of competitors in the area all fighting for the same candidates.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Other than the fact that one school seems to be better at Oxbridge entry whereas the other is better at medicine, there seems to be little difference between NLCS and HBS in terms of academic outcome. Which is, in any case, a result of their intake. Parent who have a choice between the two schools need to consider other factors that may be relevant to them or their DD.

nyr
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Finchley mum wrote:Proud dad - I can see you are prefacing everything you say with "in my experience" which is good and of course your experiences are important and relevant to how you see the world. We are all the same that way. My experience would be the reverse of yours (ie constantly seeing privilege trying to maintain privilege and being absolutely ruthless in doing so - not so much in school setting but more in the business world) so for that reason, I would care less for poor language on the football pitch than those who through language and conduct try and maintain a (false) sense of superiority. So I agree with one of the previous posts here that there are many types of poor behaviour and we all have our personal experiences to determine which behaviours we believe are worse than others.
I think perhaps my original post wasn't worded very well because I really am the last person to look down on anyone because of class or income, so apologies if it came across like that. :oops:

I've met my fair share of arrogant, private school toffs as well and I certainly don't have much time for them!.

But in terms of behaviour at childrens sporting events I would still prefer some private school type looking down their nose at me than someone squaring up to me and telling me to "mind my own f***ing business!" because I politely asked them to watch their language in front of a group of 10 year olds.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I can vouch that proud dad had a glitch moment, his posts are normally very balanced, he is not a snob.

However the dad that made my eldest son very miserable last year with his boorish nasty attitude and sometimes swearing, until he was given final warnings, was an Oxbridge grad who has sent all his kids to Indies, so I think it tends to be individuals letting their emotions show their true colours on the sports side lines, rather than background.
The person who you would stereotypically most expect to be a Sweary Mary has in fact got zero tolerance on etiquette and swearing, amongst boys or spectators...and no one would dare to answer him back. :lol:

I think the thing to remember is not to stereotype on any level.