3 days to go before we find out! Going out of my mind!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
eal238

Re: 3 days to go before we find out! Going out of my mind!

Post by eal238 »

So glad tonight is almost over! Just need to fall asleep - hope the 1.5 bottles of white zinfandel do their job :lol:
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Good luck! Hope you get the news you're hoping for.
eal238

Post by eal238 »

He's in!!!!! Jury is still out on the bursary though as I only saw 'I am delighted to offer **** a position in Yr 7...' :D

Over the moon! One very pleased and proud mum!
Amber

Post by Amber »

:D :D :D

open the letter! It is addressed to you! I am not one of these parents who thinks the child should open it - you need to know how to play it.

Great news though - really pleased for you as our north-eastern forum rep. 8)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Page 7261 of the "how to be a parent manual":
You definitely need to to open it to handle any questions over the bursary! v hard to do damage limitation if needed when the cat is out of bag...
Tabassum101

Post by Tabassum101 »

Congrats to you and your DS :D . Very well done :D :D
eal238

Post by eal238 »

I opened it and unfortunately we have not been allocated any bursary assistance. I'm glad that I did as I think there will be some tears later on this afternoon and it has enabled me to call off family members dropping round etc.

I have sent off a very polite request to be considered for reallocation of any funds that may become available due to places and bursaries being declined, so have held off on an outright decline at this present moment, in anticipation of what may occur (or may not)...

So a bit of a waiting game over the next few days!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Congrats on getting the place but sorry to hear about the funding - it is hard and there isn't an unlimited amount around.

I think you need to chat to the school to see what the chances are of getting any and if they are slim and you can't afford the fees then better to move on rather than holding on too long - makes it harder for DC. However if they are encouraging then nothing to be lost by waiting for a while.

PS don't let there be too many tears - you have got a place and many will not have got that far!
eal238

Post by eal238 »

hermanmunster wrote:Congrats on getting the place but sorry to hear about the funding - it is hard and there isn't an unlimited amount around.

I think you need to chat to the school to see what the chances are of getting any and if they are slim and you can't afford the fees then better to move on rather than holding on too long - makes it harder for DC. However if they are encouraging then nothing to be lost by waiting for a while.

PS don't let there be too many tears - you have got a place and many will not have got that far!
Because of the schooling system here, we are not waiting for any other offers from schools - I have my choices in for our local comprehensives where places are allocated on catchments, regardless of ability and fortunately those are both EXCELLENT schools..

So it's not so much a case of hanging on and holding out too hopeful, but it's a case of nothing to lose by holding out because we have two excellent state schools to fall back on regardless of the outcome..

Myself and his father are feeling ok about it - we knew this was a (likely) scenario and we have been preparing him and reiterating to him the bursary is not a guarantee and he's aware that if there is none, that he can't go, but it's not a reflection upon him.. He's deservedly earned a place afterall!

So we're still exceptionally proud of him winning a coveted place... The school we applied for was the top performing school north of Manchester last year, so it's very sought after and respected and on that basis, he's done astoundingly well. Two hundred children didn't make it through to the first cut and get through to interview stage!