NLCS vs HBS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

edgwaredad

NLCS vs HBS

Post by edgwaredad »

Are there many like me? Not sure how to decide. Will appreciate response purely reflecting quality of education. Please don't advise about the financial aspects as in terms of affordability etc.
As we all know one is fee and other is not.
Last edited by edgwaredad on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
shootmenow

Re: NLCS vs HBS

Post by shootmenow »

DD (1 and 2) are at NLCS and DD2's BF is at HB. Both are very happy. DD1 had a friend who moved to HB in yr 9 for financial reasons. She was very sporty and isn't happy that there isn't much sport. DD2's friend seems to get much more homework.
Look at the following-
1 Ease of journey
2 Do the extra-curriculars match DD's interests- clubs, sport etc
3 What value do you place on variety of MFL and Classical languages
4 Do you feel the NLCS 'polish' is what your DD wants or needs. They come out very shiny, indeed.
5 Pastoral care is better at NLCS but improving at HB
We are extremely happy with NLCS. My girls are happy, unstressed and getting a hugely broad education. It is a kind school and they work very hard to ensure that the girls feel supported and valued. The facilities are amazing and my girls take advantage of them.
PM me if you have any more Qs.
silverysea

Re: NLCS vs HBS

Post by silverysea »

Only you know what you can afford, or are willing to afford. I wish we had gone for the private school option but we chose to save money-now I think we should have worried less about the money and more about our DDs' educations. We can't move DD1 out of a state comp for social and disruption reasons, and it would cause massive friction to go for fee-paying for DD2.