Help! SHHS or Habs Girls?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vas

Re: Help! SHHS or Habs Girls?

Post by vas »

SHertsDad wrote:I always find it confusing when a 10 or 11 year old is led to believe that they are the ones that should choose and not the parents!
Much as I am a very strict parent, this is one decision I let both my children decide. I felt they were both mature and sensible enough to choose the school that is right for them. Although with my eldest we tried to convince otherwise, we gave in at the end to his reasoned argument.

As a parent you can guide them, but I think it's best for them to make the decision. Most children are sensitive and sensible about what their parents can or wont be able to do.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We know a boy who turned down a sibling place at a fantastic school to go to the local comp with his best friend from primary. Within a couple of weeks of starting his best friend found new friends and abandoned him. He regrets that decision now. His friends were his current horizons and he could not imagine a different world. He was too young to make that decision. I feel his parents let him down. DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am very impressed that the young lady in this case asked her parents to choose for her. That is a true sign of maturity - knowing the limitations of her own experience. I also think ten year olds are too young to decide this kind of thing for themselves. A nice story - I hope she is happy there.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed. Very wise of her to know what she did not know!
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

shootmenow wrote:Another factor to consider, and I know this seems a long way off but it becomes relevant in the blink of an eye, is 6th form retention rates. How many girls leave and why. This is something people forget to ask when they look around schools with their 10/11 yr old girl. Also, how many girls do what subjects at A level. Ask for specifics.
This is one of our standard questions! Sometimes 6th form it is like a second school. But you have to be prepared to look under the cover and find why. Then check the publicly available data for discrepancies.
St Helens has always been very strong on Medical, Science, etc.
One thing we found when speaking to the coach people theee is that the network is widening. All good signs.