Habs Boys at 13

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Re: Habs Boys at 13

Post by Daogroupie »

I am not surprised she is miles ahead in Latin as anyone from a state school would not have done it at all. Is your ds interested in Spanish or German? When does HABS start a second MFL. Is it Y8? When do they start Greek or it is just a GCSE learnt from scratch? DG

So your prep is mixed? The field of possible options narrows considerably!
stardoll

Post by stardoll »

Going to Habs at 11

More spaces available
Test in maths, English and VR
Working towards IGCSE/GCSE from year 7
More clubs and sports
Lots of new children

Going to Habs at 13

Tested in every subject (must be scholarship material or forget it)
Only 25 spaces available
Friendship groups formed already

The common entrance is a outdated curriculum schools do not value it anymore hence why our children have to sit exams for every school. Your child will learn soooo much more in Habs in Y7 and 8 than he will in Prep.

I would move at 11.
animal

Post by animal »

DG, according to the boys' website they start all 3 MLs in Y7 together with Latin, rotating throughout the year. In Y8 they continue with two of their choice. I don't know about boys, but Greek is only an option higher in the girls' school (Y9 I think), though there's a lunchtime club open to all.

Thanks everyone for your responses, food for thought.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We know a boy at Habs who took Ancient Greek GCSE last year.
superdifey

Post by superdifey »

I have a DS in yr 7 at Habs Boys. They study a total of 4 carousel of languages in yr 7 - this means that they study 2 languages for half a year each. So my DS did Spanish and Latin from Sept - mid Feb and is now studying French & German. They have to choose 2 of these languages to continue next year. The only downside of that is that the languages they drop cannot be picked up again later on. So if a DS joins the school having only studied French & Latin they won't be at a disadvantage as they will be able to continue with those 2 languages. Greek is definitely a GCSE option, but I think only if they are studying Latin (although I am not 100% sure about that).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now