Rugby School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cam

Post by cam »

Congratulations, all the very best wishes.
Does this make you more relaxed about 03/03?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

In a way it does, yes Cam.
HOWEVER, although Edward has got places at two independent schools - Rugby is our first choice - he has to overcome the hurdle of the bursary interview...so nothing is guaranteed yet!! We are not counting our chickens at the moment!!
I would love to know how the 'powers that be' are thinking at this stage. Do they have a certain amount of money they will give in total to children, or will they give to any child who shows aptitude in the interview, or - based on the entrance exams they have already taken - do they just want to meet the child and check that they are not offensive in some way...???
We really thought that we would know for definite by now. Hey ho!! Our son is a star for trying his best. We have said that as far as we are concerned he has a place. It isn't HIS fault that we cannot afford to pay for it. He may never go there, but he did pass the entrance exams!! :mrgreen:
cam

Post by cam »

Who knows.
One would hope they're looking for interesting, clever, 'nice', children with enquiring minds. I guess the 'clever' element is tested by the exams, so the interview is to check out the rest and make sure they'll fit in. Very best of luck.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Well, amazingly, it all worked out and Ed has just completed his first year at Rugby. There have been many highs and a few hiccoughs along the way, but it's ALL been worth it!

Now I just have to cope with Ed at home for the next 9 weeks (and 1 day!)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Not many hiccoughs by the sound of it!

Is he getting a plummy accent? :wink: Or maybe he had one already! :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Plummy accent? Yes, he is developing one a little bit actually. He did always speak well though.

When he's cross with us he tends to call us mother and father now as well (which actually sounds lovely but I wish it wasn't spat out with such venom!!)

I'm trying to ignore it though as my mother sent me for elocution lessons but then teased me about the way I spoke.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

That's funny! :lol:

DC are at indie's to get posh :wink: and I tease them about their accent too. DS1 called father Sir at wilst eating dinner today. Both were mortified! :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi,
Talking of accents, my DS has also become posh!!
As with Ed , he has always spoken well but now has a definite public school accent.
He's already driving me mad - only 8 weeks to go! :roll: :roll:
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

You do not say what year of entry is proposed. If 11+ or 13+. Although you do not state it I presume you are outside the residential area to qualify for scholarship, which is a pity. My DD wone a scholarship and the school has been very ready to make up the remainder (90%) of the fees through an augmenting bursary. However I think that you might find that, for entry at Common Entrance, whether as a day pupil or boarder, the value of the bursary might not be very large. I say this on the basis that the school's principal aim is fostering exceptionaly able children. At the end of the day, if you don't ask you don't get. So ask the bursary who are very approachable. Good luck
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:mrgreen: If you are replying to 'Prupin', Sassie's Dad, it was me (incognito!). It was in 2007 that I started the thread! Thanks though.

As this is a Rugby School thread, DO let us know how your daughter's preparations are going for starting at Rugby in September...have you bought the uniform yet? Is she excited??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now