Independent vs Grammar Schools an Old Debate

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2outof3

Re: Independent vs Grammar Schools an Old Debate

Post by 2outof3 »

Random musings is pretty much what I was asking for Ladymuck :D and thinking it about it, I'm not sure that I know anyone who chose one of the GDST schools over a grammar place, though there must be a fair few knocking about. Thanks for the contribution!
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

2outof3 - You raised an important point in the context of Girls Schools.
"DISTANCE" - Though this is applicable for Boys Schools too.

- As we know, many parents define a radius and intend to send their DD / DS within the proximity if they don't consider the boarding option ...

I mentioned a point earlier in this post ........ "Value Proposition".
Some Independent Schools deliver more value compare to Grammar Schools .... Agreed ... but every value is associated with a Cost?
In case, if parents believe that the Value is not significantly higher compare to Grammar Schools ....
(a). Say ... An Indie is not significantly better than Non-Such or Wally Girls ....
(b). Or ... An Indie offers marginally better value than a GS?

If your DD gets into a GS which you as a parent think is one of the best in the region, then remember that all Girls in her batch would have put the same amount of Hard Work as other girls and remember your DD will be among the group of Performers / Achievers and Hard Workers .... Not necessarily this will hold Good for Indies which are marginally better (* Conditions apply :D ) Normally, many children enjoy the company of equal achievers. Their potential will improve and they can easily get motivated without a major (external) push.

I guess 1 in 5 GS children parents with a single child could afford £1200/- a month towards their education .... but they still choose a GS not because they don't want to spend but for the point mentioned above .......

I sincerely wish your DD gets into the school she wanted to goto (GS or IND) .... Good Luck to you and your DD.

My views are the same in the context of Boys Schools too .......
Last edited by CoolParent123 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

CoolParent123 wrote:

I am sure at-least 1 in 5 parents who are sends their DD could afford £1200/- a month towards her education .... but they still choose a GS not because they don't want to spend but for the point mentioned above .......

Maybe that is the case in the south east :shock: :shock: but elsewhere (and for people who have > 1 child) I suspect that it is far fewer people who could afford this.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Does anyone know that out of the top 20 schools in the land for gcse results, how many are indie and how many are state?
mad?

Post by mad? »

sbarnes wrote:Does anyone know that out of the top 20 schools in the land for gcse results, how many are indie and how many are state?
I very much doubt there are many indies in it as they don't tend to do GCSEs but IGCSES which are not included in the tables :D
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Raw results tell you nothing.

Private schools never release progress data and so it is impossible to compare cohorts.

None of this data helps you judge how well your child will do school academically at school X.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Some parents I know look at the raw data of gcse results in year 11 and compare state against indie in that sector.

I will have a look at FT or daily telegraph to check if this comparison is possible. It may not tell you anything but May to others. Let's agree to disagree on this one
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I know it isn't possible as private schools don't have the same analysis made - KS2 to KS4 - and if you ask you won't get an answer.

Their inspection 'regime' is also not focused on progress as Ofsted is. An ex-colleague, who is now a private school headteacher, was shocked at the lack of rigour in private school inpsections ...
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

God forbid you should pick a school on whether its the best fit for your child and whether they are likely to be happy there and as a result be far more likely to reach their potential. I never saw such a blinkered and wrong footed discussion of grammar vs private. Its like people are comparing ferraris and minis based on their ability to appeal to a 44 year old man! It depends!!!!!!
Why can we not agree to stop trying to compare the two in any way other than whether they suit the child in that family, and stop mud slinging with NO statistical back up ("my friend says, his mother says, I've heard, people say").
Just because you pay doesn't make a school better.
Just because its a selective state doesn't mean all the teachers are better
Just because the academic achievement is apparently better, doesn't make it a better choice for little Johnny
Just because it 'takes all sorts' doesn't make it a worse school
Just because it has smaller class sizes doesn't automatically make it a better choice.

This argument just runs on and on and on and no one can ever win. It bugs me as I have feet in both camps. I believe we made the best choices for our boys (both could have gone to grammar) but do not otherwise waste my time passing on hearsay and unsubstantiated opinion to try to sway others. Do whats right for your child, you'll never get an answer you can use to judge here.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yamin151 - I totally agree - it is mad that people think they are getting 'better' because they pay!

You cannot compare statistically as I said - you need to consider your child and developing them academically and, just as important, as a human being.

This is why this thread will never reach a conclusion ...