Independent school fees - Habs / MTS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Irnmaiden

Independent school fees - Habs / MTS

Post by Irnmaiden »

We are in a situation where DS may be on the waiting list of QE/Watford Boys so we are keeping all options including independent school options ready. We will have to really stretch and make sacrifices to send DS to independent so we wanted to understand the true cost of independent school lest we are caught unawares.

It will be really useful if anyone can advise of the average annual cost. We are aware that cost go up every year and some years have extra costs such as exam fees - but we just need to know the cost as it stands in the early years (Year 7 - Year 10)

MTS / HABS
Fees - £18k /£17.5k
Coach - £2k / £2k
Lunch - £? / £?
Music (2 instruments) - £? / £?
Exam Fees (GCSE etc in later year) - £? / £?
Uniform - £? / £?
Sports kits - £? / £?
Annual trip (atleast 1) - £? / £?
Paid clubs/activities (atleast 1) - £? / £?
Books - £? / £?
Extra games (judo etc?) - £? / £?

Anything else????? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
test2014

Re: Independent school fees - Habs / MTS

Post by test2014 »

Interesting list. The fee will go up 15%+ in 5 years if not more and salary may be reduced.
some might need tuition to get better grades.
Irnmaiden wrote:We are in a situation where DS may be on the waiting list of QE/Watford Boys so we arr keeping all options including independent school options ready. We will have to really stretch and make sacrifices to send DS to independent so we wanted to understand the true cost of independent school lest we are caught unawares.

It will be really useful if anyone can advise of the average annual cost. We are aware that cost go up every year and some years have extra costs such as exam fees - but we just need to know the cost as it stands in the early years (Year 7 - Year 10)

MTS / HABS
Fees - £18k /£17.5k
Coach - £2k / £2k
Lunch - £? / £?
Music (2 instruments) - £? / £?
Exam Fees (GCSE etc in later year) - £? / £?
Uniform - £? / £?
Sports kits - £? / £?
Annual trip (atleast 1) - £? / £?
Paid clubs/activities (atleast 1) - £? / £?
Books - £? / £?
Extra games (judo etc?) - £? / £?

Anything else????? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Irnmaiden

Post by Irnmaiden »

test2014, Thanks, I forgot about additional tuitions. I will account for this but wanted to know the school costs.

I have done some research on the web and here is what I think it may all cost - if anyone has more accurate figures, please provide them. I also found that there is no use comparing HABS and MTS as they are roughly similar so costs below are for one of them.

Annual MTS costs for first 5 years (upto GCSE - Y11) based on 2014 costs
Fees - £18,000
Coach - £1,400
Lunch - £1,000 (£5 per day for lunch and tuck shop etc assuming 200 days per year)
Music - £600 (about £200 per term for one instrument)
Exam Fees - £100 (GCSE exam fees averaged across 5 years)
Uniform - £200 (averaged over 5 years)
Sports kits - £200 (averaged over 5 years)
Annual trip - £1200 / £1200 (assuming 1 trip per year)
Books - £200 (additional study materials, test papers etc)
Combined Cadet Force - £130
Insurances - £250

So about £23,000 with all of the above or £21,000 if I forgo some items such as music or trips and use public transport). I guess external tuitions may be around £2000 - £3000 per year?? I have no idea.

So all in all about £23,000 - £26,000

Thats quite scary numbers - please let me know if I overestimated or worse, underestimated!!
mad?

Post by mad? »

I am not sure about MTS but from my experience I think you are over estimating. Sports kits and uniforms are largely sourced from 2nd hand uniforms sales, I have definitely not spent what you have budgeted and have 2 very sporty DDs at Indie. £5 for lunch seems excessive to me, is this what the school charge?? As for annual trips at £1200? Our school has the annual nod to the wealthy ski-ing trip but other than than that most are well under £1000 and there are always trips for under £500. My DD have not had to pay for any books, nor would I ever consider paying for extra tutoring for them. Good luck.
mad?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I agree with ?mad. Other than the fees themselves (scholarship for us fortunately), my DS at indie has had less demands on our wallet than the DS who started at a GS at the same time.
It largely depends on what your basic limits are, so, for us, we were more than happy to buy second hand uniform (blazers at £70 a pop! We got them free and £5), then buy tesco or whoever basics for shirts, trousers etc. There is more cost first term of course, as there is sports kit that you can't always get second hand, and that in our case needed to be specific, but these items will hopefully last a few years and boots etc were cheap ones.
Trips at both schools have modest options as well as the more expensive ones, but you are not made to feel you have to join in and many don't. Arguably more don't join the trips in an indie as parents have often had to 'do without' to afford fees so don't always have the slack!
Not sure re exam fees etc. No payment for books at indie yet, and optional extras at the GS
Music lessons signif more expensive at the GS than the indie!! But yes, these are a cost, think between £12 and £18 per half hour lesson on average, based on ten per term, each instrument.
Add some petrol in to the bus costs as with clubs etc you may find you have to do drive ins to pick up on days the bus not suitable.

When I went to an indie, the fact that my parents had 4 kids and a big old rambling house to support on a docs income meant that I was privaleged, but not in the 'porsche' set, and in those days (80s), many many of those made up the indie population. I don't find that the case now. Sure it still can be in some, but in my DS indie, which is very simialr to the one I went to, their are far more 04 (as in 2004) plates on modest runaround cars (us included), than 14 plate range rovers! Though the latter exist, it really is fine and as normal to be in the 'budget' category as in the smart set, so don't let a bit of trimming costs where you can put you off.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some private schools insist on uniform from a particular stockist so you cannot always save money. Second hand options cannot always be relied on so I think the estimate for uniform might be too low. You might need several types of sports shoes ....

You need to factor in fees increasing and travel, lunches etc increasing.

Exam fees seem very low if you are taking music exams as well ...

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Document ... celist.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://gb.abrsm.org/en/exam-booking/exa ... -and-fees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Some private schools insist on uniform from a particular stockist so you cannot always save money. Second hand options cannot always be relied on so I think the estimate for uniform might be too low. You might need several types of sports shoes ....

GS does this too, often, but sometimes you can get blazers etc, you may need to ask, and not many insist on uniform stockists trousers or white shirts, whatever 'recommendations' the school may make. The OP needs to check this for the school, obviously. You can pick up second hand boots or cheap from sports (in)direct so this does not need to be a big expense, relatively speaking. Like I say, its all down to what you are willing to economise on. If you feel 'branded' is always best (the most succesful marketing rot ever!) then it will cripple you financially indeed!!

You need to factor in fees increasing and travel, lunches etc increasing.

Yes, hopefully wages will too (haha, we hope!), lunches and travel are factors in a state school too, and there are always packed lunches!

Exam fees seem very low if you are taking music exams as well ...

You pay exam fees for music whatever school you attend, so yes, its a cost but not over and above what you would pay anywhere.

Just want to balance the "it cost £150,000 to raise a child these days" argument. It doesn't have to, if you don't buy into branded this, you can't deny that, you must have that mentality (Guest 55 I know this is not exactly what you are saying), and I sometimes think people are scared off by being constantly told it will cost far more than they think, although it of course makes sense to prepare, but what I'm seeing is that it is the fees that are the main issue, as the other on costs do not need to be any higher than a GS state school thereafter, unless your child is somewhere really prestigious, which may not be the best plan if your budget is stretched!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I am comparing our local GS with private schools I know of.

Private school demands, for example, a particular style/colour of trouser from a specific shop; GS does not.

Blazer for private school is expensive (£100+) and needs dry cleaning - GS £30 washable with badge.

Private school demands lunches have to be taken; GS can choose.

Music fees are often 'topped up' at a private school by the need to pay for 'their' accompanist ...

Local private demands three/four (rugby, indoor, cricket, outdoor) different types of shoes for sport plus cricket whites. Those in teams need tracksuits plus own equipment which, for cricket, is not cheap. GS needs two shoes (football, trainer) and all other equipment is provided.

Private school seems to expect lots of art equipment to be bought - sketch books etc.

Many private school DO require textbooks to be bought plus folders etc.

Fund raising events - wel at the private school you need a mortgage to attend some of them :shock:

GCSEs/A levels are expensive - no cost in a state school.

Yamin151 - we've not ever been asked for any expensive 'extras' when DS was at GS.
Irnmaiden

Post by Irnmaiden »

All, thanks for all the responses. It is certainly helping build a good picture of what we can expect.

We are looking at where we can cut down - public transport is doable (tube from rickmansworth) and so is second hand uniform and where possible kit from sports direct, online etc. We may not do as much external tuition as well - all it is looking more like about £21,000 at these schools for us

more encouraging however is the fact that many seem to be in the same situation. I was a bit worried that DS may not fully fit in as we are not at the "porsche" end of the spectrum! However if it is a mixed crowd in terms of affluence, then we are a bit more comfortable with it. We did not want DS to be the only boy in class to not be able to attend the fancy trips etc!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

when I looked at indies for my DCs I found that some were much more straightforward in what was included in the fees than others - this one for example: http://www.trentcollege.net/2442/admiss ... sive-fees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

covers
School lunches and teas
Examination entry fees
Fieldwork during term time
Textbooks up to Year 11
Travel associated with school matches
Supervision until 5:40pm

Full boarding fees also include:
All boarding activities and excursions
1 music lesson per week

of course more expensive than others in the area but made budgeting easier for parents.

PS - never worry about the "porsche end of the spectrum" at private schools - they are probably overdrawn and mortgaged to the hilt! I remember being asked for a "cheque for £160 by Wednesday" for some activities at DD's prep school - some apparently affluent people went quite pale....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now