Interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kobe2010

Interview

Post by kobe2010 »

Me and my son will have an interview with the headmaster and the registrar of the school where my son is applying at the moment.I am so nervous about this and I don't know if I need to practice together with my son prior to meeting with the headmaster.Sorry for this silly question but I really need your advice,please.
mad?

Re: INTERVIEW

Post by mad? »

Try not to be nervous as your DS will pick up on this. I suggest not 'practising' per se, but encourage DC to have a think about what he enjoys at school and why, what he likes about the school and why and what else motivates/enthuses hi and why. Do this conversationally as he mentions things from school etc. That way he should have things at the forefront of this mind. The head will be an experience interviewer and will know how to get DS to relax and to get the best from him. Equally he will be well equipped to spot rehearsed answers and pre-prepared guff. Good luck.
Last edited by WP on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved from Herts to Independent section
mad?
Radlettmother

Re: Interview

Post by Radlettmother »

Oh, and always make sure he has an answer to the favourite book question...
kobe2010

Post by kobe2010 »

Thank you so much for your advice,I will be sitting with my son during the interview and I hope everything will go smoothly.My son will be applying for a scholarship in an independent school and I feel little, thinking that we are not that rich to apply to this school, so thinking of an interview in front of this people makes me feel not really confident. :(
mad?

Post by mad? »

Kobe you have to get thoughts like that out of your mind. The school have invited your son because they are interested in him. I assume you mean a bursary rather than a scholarship, remember, schools want to find children to give bursaries to and you should feel proud that your son is being considered for one, well done him!
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Kobe, Your son is bringing something to the school that money can't buy. What he can offer is beyond price and that is why the school is interested in him. Make a little list of what your son has to offer and read it through before you go in and perhaps do a little mock interview with a friend or family to help you prepare. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now