City of London Boys from Essex-is journey feasible?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loopsngeorge

City of London Boys from Essex-is journey feasible?

Post by loopsngeorge »

Hi, I and my DS loved this school, but he would be coming into Liverpool Street after a thirty minute journey on the train, and then having to walk for 20mins/get bus down to school. CLSB say they have boys coming in from Essex, but it feels quite a journey for an 11 year old - not least when something seems to happen on this line about once a week. My worry is the journey doesn't sound too bad on paper, but the reality of doing it every day could be different.

Just wondered if anyone else's DS does this kind of journey, to CLSB or elsewhere, and how do they cope when there's an accident or problem etc?
Thanks!
moved

Re: City of London Boys from Essex-is journey feasible?

Post by moved »

Stunning school with excellent attainment. Why not try the journey a few times.
If you aren't worried about the stress of the exam then put him in for the exam and make the decision later.

Where in Essex?
He will also be going with the commuters which is quite unpleasant - often no seat and very crowded. It will be better in the evening when he can board the train at Liverpool St when it is empty.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A member of my family commuted from Chelmsford to London every day for a number of years. His children went to a local school as he could not commit his children to a journey he loathed ...

There are some excellent schools in Essex so I cannot think why a long journey would be necessary.
Tabassum101

Post by Tabassum101 »

Hi loopsngeorge,

My son goes to CLSB and absolutely loves it. He commutes on the Central line from the east side of London and his journey takes about 45 minuets door to door.

I would suggest, that you try the commute with your son during school time morning and evening if possible at all and decide. As you are aware, tubes get busy during rush our and my DS stands most of the time, either with his musical instruments or his PE kits along his his heavy school bag.

The school finishes at 4:00pm and there are after school activities after that your DS might want to get involved in. My one stay back two days a week after school. Of course, there are lots of lunch time clubs as well.

My DS got into tube problems twice this term and actually liked finding a different route to school and back. Mine is a weird one, he likes the commuting aspect!
Last edited by Tabassum101 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
loopsngeorge

Post by loopsngeorge »

Thanks everyone, lots of things to think about. I think the door to door journey would be at least an hour. We did it in the evening coming back from one of the open afternoons and it wasn't too crowded, but morning would be different of course.

We do have some very good schools around here, but as far as independent schools go, my impression is that CLSB is in a bit of a different league. The dilemma is whether that would make up for such a journey, even if he was lucky enough to get a place..... Thanks very much for your views!
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

For me being close to home wins every time. The DC are more likely to stay for activities, have local friends and have time for out of school things as well as homework, eating and sleeping! Only this morning I dashed up in the car with DS' football boots, and I picked him up on the way home from work as he is full of cold ATM (is he Molly coddled?!) but it's great to be able to do that every now and then. My DC can even walk to school if the traffic is bad. Is CLSB really in a different class to Essex schools, it's not one of the super academic schools and has limited sporting facilities - but that might not matter to your DS. Pick the school that will suit him best, if it's close that's a huge bonus. You can apply and make the decision if you get an offer.
moved

Post by moved »

At the moment, I'm thinking how great local would be!
DD travels to CRGS daily. This is usually fine; however, she broke her foot yesterday and now has a cast.
Her current bus is a 15 minute walk from home in the morning and a 30 minute walk after school. Neither of which is possible on crutches. DH drove her to school this morning (2 hr round trip) and is picking her up from school this evening at 9pm!
CCHS is 8 mins walk from our front door (her school for the last 5 yrs).

Would I change anything, apart from the foot, of course not. She loves her school.
Is it a total nightmare, yes!