How many past papers should we do in the last few weeks?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

firefox

Re: How many past papers should we do in the last few weeks?

Post by firefox »

J50 wrote:Interesting discussion, thanks for the input! We're not going for either of those schools btw, too far away from SW London.

You're doing about the same as we are I guess, though we have less time paying a tutor and more time me tutoring. I'm not that keen on the Bond 10 min papers, though I only have VR ones - do you think the other subjects ones are ok??

Son has 4 school exams from Jan 5th to 11th and I did think about having the week off (state primary) but again we have had a quite a few days off approved in the last year (mainly for cricket matches!) so don't want to push it too much. Also having put in the forms for a couple of days leave of absence for exams in Jan I did get the reply back --does he really need the full day or just half!
I quite like the Bond 10 Min papers to do in the evenings, because my DS has to practice 2 instruments, school homework and homework from tutor over the course of the week. By doing a 10 min paper every couple of days, it keeps his brain active until the weekend, when he has tuition and does past question papers.

What I did decide to do though was use the 11+ 10 Mins tests (age 10-11), even though he is taking 10+. This was to provide sufficient stretch and I mix it up with other 10+ stuff to provide a balance.

I've decided to have DS not go back to school until after the exams...lets hope the school Head "approves"!!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I think the number of 10+ offers at Whitgift may get influenced by the 11+ numbers as well. Having staffed themselves up for 200 per year it would be hard for them to drop back below that, but if they didn't get 6 forms of entry in January's 11+ then they might try to make the subsequent year larger. If you have a preference for Whitgift then I would explore this point quite carefully when offers come out, as obviously the opportunities for a boy to be in one of the school teams/productions etc are that bit smaller if they happen to be in the year group of 240 not 160.

But yes, if you have put in the effort for 10+, and have a head writing a supportive reference, I would expect your ds to be in a comfortable position, but I might not tell him that yet, unless he is a real worrier!

Whitgift have dropped the "bring something along to talk about at interview" approach, but Trinity still had it at 11+ last year.

In terms of absence from school, we were given the nod that taking time off for revision would cause the school difficulty with the register, but if Master Muck happened to be unwell then they would have no problem at all. Given the need for the school's cooperation with references and the all important call to the head after the exam results, I didn't feel that I could ignore their wishes, so he was suitably ill for school purposes. But I think you know your own child - some only work on last minute revision, others would be happier with their friends. A lot would depend on how many of his friends would be doing it imo. I kept ds away as the majority of his class were sitting for the same exams, and if he was going to be at school there was a danger that he would fret.
J50

Post by J50 »

firefox wrote:
I quite like the Bond 10 Min papers to do in the evenings, because my DS has to practice 2 instruments, school homework and homework from tutor over the course of the week. By doing a 10 min paper every couple of days, it keeps his brain active until the weekend, when he has tuition and does past question papers.

What I did decide to do though was use the 11+ 10 Mins tests (age 10-11), even though he is taking 10+. This was to provide sufficient stretch and I mix it up with other 10+ stuff to provide a balance.

I've decided to have DS not go back to school until after the exams...lets hope the school Head "approves"!!

Yes agree on that, I've always believed that stretching them further than necessary makes the actual exam easier - hence we are on the Bond 11+ - 12+ papers at the moment.

Alledgedly there has been the odd sick day in the last year or so, and doubtless there will be one or two more in the coming weeks...
firefox

Post by firefox »

Ladymuck wrote:I think the number of 10+ offers at Whitgift may get influenced by the 11+ numbers as well. Having staffed themselves up for 200 per year it would be hard for them to drop back below that, but if they didn't get 6 forms of entry in January's 11+ then they might try to make the subsequent year larger. If you have a preference for Whitgift then I would explore this point quite carefully when offers come out, as obviously the opportunities for a boy to be in one of the school teams/productions etc are that bit smaller if they happen to be in the year group of 240 not 160.

But yes, if you have put in the effort for 10+, and have a head writing a supportive reference, I would expect your ds to be in a comfortable position, but I might not tell him that yet, unless he is a real worrier!

Whitgift have dropped the "bring something along to talk about at interview" approach, but Trinity still had it at 11+ last year.

In terms of absence from school, we were given the nod that taking time off for revision would cause the school difficulty with the register, but if Master Muck happened to be unwell then they would have no problem at all. Given the need for the school's cooperation with references and the all important call to the head after the exam results, I didn't feel that I could ignore their wishes, so he was suitably ill for school purposes. But I think you know your own child - some only work on last minute revision, others would be happier with their friends. A lot would depend on how many of his friends would be doing it imo. I kept ds away as the majority of his class were sitting for the same exams, and if he was going to be at school there was a danger that he would fret.
Im desperately trying NOT to turn this into a T & W thread but I got my T confirmation letter today and the DS's number ends in 125...of course I've now started wondering if thats how many people are taking the 10+ (as I handed my form in on the Friday before the deadline)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Did you get a blue or yellow slip?!

I believe that 125+ will be the number of full fee applicants but that there will be another say 60-80 bursary applicants (possibly more, but I think bursary candidates are more likely to also go for grammar). The late entry fee isn't particularly punitive at either T or W so you may end up with 140 odd full fee applicants. Pretty good odds given the number of potential places across both schools (I would expect 25% or fewer places to go to bursary candidates).
firefox

Post by firefox »

Ladymuck wrote:Did you get a blue or yellow slip?!

I believe that 125+ will be the number of full fee applicants but that there will be another say 60-80 bursary applicants (possibly more, but I think bursary candidates are more likely to also go for grammar). The late entry fee isn't particularly punitive at either T or W so you may end up with 140 odd full fee applicants. Pretty good odds given the number of potential places across both schools (I would expect 25% or fewer places to go to bursary candidates).
T is a dark purple slip, so I'm not sure what that means (!) But yeah decent odds.. Of course I haven't told my DS that, the lazy little blighter would totally switch off from here on in!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

It would be interesting to get similar numbers for 11+ this year. The numbers sitting Sutton seemed to be relatively high, given the drop in the number of local year 6 boys. I wonder how the independent school applications will be affected. Anyone apply in the last week or so for Trinity 11+?
J50

Post by J50 »

Ladymuck wrote:It would be interesting to get similar numbers for 11+ this year. The numbers sitting Sutton seemed to be relatively high, given the drop in the number of local year 6 boys. I wonder how the independent school applications will be affected. Anyone apply in the last week or so for Trinity 11+?

Received emailed details about Kingston Grammar today. Interesting to see (in a roundabout way) that they have a spill over day for some reason, ie they have children sitting exams on the stated day of Thursday, and also some on Saturday.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user