Are the 11 plus entrance exams age adjusted?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
southgate dad

Are the 11 plus entrance exams age adjusted?

Post by southgate dad »

Can any one advise me if the independent schools entrance exams are age adjusted?
Catseye

Re: Are the 11 plus entrance exams age adjusted?

Post by Catseye »

my understanding is that most do not standardise wrt age unless they use the commercial boards like CEM or GL

Although they may make compensations at interview, tbh I do not know the Indie process seems to be a law unto itself! for e.g some traditional Public schools make a great play if your great Grandfather four times removed attended there :roll:
southgate dad

Post by southgate dad »

Thanks Catseye

I better start checking the family history then!
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

southgate dad, I'm afraid Catseye is right that the indies are a law unto themselves. Each school (or in some cases group or consortium of more than one school) does its own thing in its own way.

You could try phoning the admissions people at the schools you're most interested in and asking them. They ought to be able to tell you, although I can't be sure that they will be willing to!
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

DS is summer born and I asked this question at a couple of open days - they said they did take it into account when considering papers, in the same way they also consider what school the child comes from. They are able to take individual circumstances into account, which is the great thing about the indie selection process. I also recall the Head at City Girls saying in answer to a similar question that they would interview a summer born girl who did well on the harder maths Qs or certain English Qs even if her overall score was a bit low. They are looking for potential.
What schools are you interested in and what stage are you at? If you are going to open days or interviews, ask the question, it can't hurt! Good luck :D
southgate dad

Post by southgate dad »

Thank you fairy elephant we are looking at City of London for Girls. My DD is late august born hence the question.
southgate dad

Post by southgate dad »

Thanks Debsb much appreciated
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

southgate dad wrote:we are looking at City of London for Girls.
fantastic school :D

I think fairyelephant seems to now what he/she is talking about ,Indies are more holistic in terms of selection

I only wish the state sector could be more discerning but that's another story

but your child must reach the min standard required and I doubt that would be age standardised unfortunately
southgate dad

Post by southgate dad »

Thanks Catseye, I agree CLGS is a great school but probably not realistic for us given the fees and supplementary costs.

Best wishes
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Southgate dad, if your daughter is City calibre, do consider some of the consortium schools - NLCS offer scholarships up to 50%, and the others offer lesser amounts, whereas City don't give any for academics as far as I'm aware.