CLSG interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HotCrossBun

Re: CLSG interviews

Post by HotCrossBun »

Perhaps if City comes out of the consortium, it will have fewer applicants? For most parents, the application fee is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. The real costs are the time, effort and strain on the child that preparing for the exams and taking them entails. Being the most prestigious school in the consortium now, there may be many families actually aiming for other schools but deciding it's worth £90 to "have a go."

Does anyone know if NLCS has applicants numbers have changed since coming out of the consortium?
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

I suppose it might be beneficial for the school in that many parents tick the box for an extra school because they are in the consortium and they might as well. By comparison, if you now apply to NLCS presumably it's because you have at least enough desire to go there to make the effort to sit the exam. I doubt many people would subject their child to such a difficult exam without having at least some real interest in the school, but who knows.
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Yes, that's what I am thinking.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

From DD and friends experiences, they don't ask many general questions. They will ask either a maths or English question (assumed to be selected on the basis of the weaker paper). It is the approach to the question they are looking for. DD had maths, some warm up arithmetic then something harder. There was also a problem solving question.
In the meantime you get a cup of tea and a chat with other parents waiting and a senior member of staff.
Hope it goes well for your DD.
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

Interesting theory about it reducing applications. I think there was definitely most genuine overlap between CLSG and NLCS within group 2 (and maybe some with Channing).
If City do come out and the numbers don't go down much, they may need to run 2 sittings.
Balhamite

Post by Balhamite »

Many thanks for your response fairyelephant. Do you know if this was all mental maths?
rsoni

Post by rsoni »

Wow! Congratulation y'all... And all the best for the interview
Anyone got an opinion on North Bridge House?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I hadn't heard that City had any intention of coming out of the Consortium. Has anyone heard otherwise? NLCS had a very specific reason for coming out;they wanted a harder English paper but City seem to be happy to operate within the Consortium. DG
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

HotCrossBun wrote: I guess slightly fewer than half of those interviewed will be offered a place
I reckon the odds may be even worse, although offering seems to be a black art, so who knows. City is interviewing "roughly 300 girls", out of the 850 who did the exam, for 70-75 places. :shock:
Last edited by Stroller on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

I had heard that they were considering it since NLCS came out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now