CLSG interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NeedWine

Re: CLSG interviews

Post by NeedWine »

Plus city over-offered last year and had to create an extra class so fear they will be cautious this year.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Why would they have to come out because NLCS came out? It leaves them in a stronger position as parents can try out a couple of schools in the group with the same paper. DG
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

I am not sure why CLSG might be considering coming out but I had heard they were (via a prep parent). 3 possible reasons occur:

1. they have most overlap with NLCS so the benefits (to the school) of being in the consortium are reduced and it might reduce the number of applications they have to process from people who don't really expect to get in but apply speculatively because they are sitting the paper anyway.

2. because they consider themselves to be in the market for the same girls as NLCS, so if the consortium paper does not provide sufficient differentiation for NLCS, the same must be true with City. (Although feedback on the NLCS test does not suggest it was much harder).

3.because even if they are happy with the level of the current test, they want to avoid the perception that NLCS is looking for cleverer girls than City.

Not sure whether any of these reasons are correct. Just a guess (to the extent it is true in the first place they are considering it).
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

CLSG has been on a bit of a mission over the last few years to play in the Premier League. They want their competition to be NLCS and SPGS rather than SHHS , LEH, Channing etc. They've been dumping many more girls from the preps and post-GCSE.
If the aim of leaving the Consortium for NLCS was greater differentiation at 11+, it has worked. There are far fewer candidates at the pass mark this year and far fewer interview days.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is very interesting feedback, thank you. How marked is it? Is it two interview days compared to four or one compared to two? They have chosen a pass mark so they are in control of that so they have decided on the bar and how many girls to interview. Do we have any idea of numbers? The four girls I know are all going on the same day, this Thursday. DG
Leli

Post by Leli »

I know one whose interview is also on Thursday for NLCS
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

That is very interesting shootmenow, and I suspect City will look at what has happened at NLCS in deciding what to do itself. Whether City is in fact in the same league as NLCS is of course another question!
Do you know how many girls sat for NLCS compared to last year?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would personally love to see City come out of the consortium and put the same focus on the English paper as NLCS has. The Consortium English paper follows the same formula each year and the NCLS/Habs calibre girls I know of did not find either paper challenging this year. DAO and HBS use the English paper to identify the best candidates and I would like to see CIty do the same. DG
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Good luck to anyone applying to CLSG, it is a fantastic school producing articulate and well rounded girls. My eldest dd is in year 12 and was involved in supervising the 11+ entrants this year on the day of the exam and felt very grown up.
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Ellie, my DD commented on how nice the sixth formers in her room were. One of them could have been your DD! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now