Hints on how to interview well

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
orfana123

Re: Hints on how to interview well

Post by orfana123 »

Hi. My son has been invited for interview for an assisted place at kes. Haven't got a clue what they will ask him, so any advice would be helpful. Should I get him to do his homework on the school? What kind of questions will he be asked? Help!! Please
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

There's a lot of stuff on kes in the birmingham forum, might be best to search there and post if you can't find the answer.

Good luck!
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

Catseye wrote:watch out for classic trap

"which other schools have applied to and which school do you want to go to?"
What is the best response to this do you think? The truth is we would be happy with any of the schools we applied for.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Answer the first part truthfully. List them factually then swiftly move onto why you really like their school. A student I know of was asked and said another school and did not get past interview. DG
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

Thank You DG, that is helpful. I'll have to have a chat with my DD about this, as I know this would throw her. It's quite an unhelpful question for parents like me who have spent a lot of time making sure our children DON'T get attached to any one school given how competitive entry is. I've been telling her frequently that she mustn't set her heart on any school until we get offers as she probably won't be offered it! Ah well.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I think DG's tip to just list the reasons they like that school is a good way to avoid having to tell a white lie! I do know of DC who said they didn't want to go to the school and still got an offer! I suspect that part of the reason for this question is gauging how many offers to make per place. If they really want you, they will offer. NLMum your DD could quite truthfully say she's trying not to have favourites, just in case. I do think that if DC are very keen on a particular school it will be evident in their sheer enthusiasm.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

I don't think that many schools ask DCs which is their favourite and then eliminate DCs who answer incorrectly. The DCs aren't paying the fees!
DD was asked what she liked about one or two of the schools she saw and had answers ready for each. It's a good way to insert some flattery.
Top Tips-
1. Stop focusing on the rubbish. Top selective schools use this as a further academic exploration of your child's ability. Your car, handbag, postcode, profession, accent etc. are of no interest. Spend your time wisely with DC before interview.Do some mental maths at dinner, talk about the books DCs are reading. Talk about current afairs on the school run. Some schools interview all candidates from the same junior school/s together (more relaxed with friends?), or alphabetically, or by area, or randomly. They don't interview top scorers first and no-hopers last. Speculating where your DC is on the interview list is a waste of time. So is choosing an outfit to make a good impression.Yours or theirs.
2. This is the point where the over-tutored are spotted. Top schools want to see individual flair and original thinking. Remind your DC to LISTEN to what is being asked. The interviewer wants to know what it would be like to teach this child. This is what differentiates between grammars and top indies. The interesting and INTERESTED child has an advantage at this stage. A child who can't apply a set of given rules to an unfamiliar concept will be sniffed out.
3. The clock is set at zero. The schools I am familiar with assume that all who pass the exam can cope with the school work. The interview is to see who amongst the pass mark candidates will thrive in that teaching enviornment and take advantage of what's on offer .
4. Where parents are interviewed, chose your words carefully. If you have older siblings in other schools and you are asked why you would want your DCs educated separately , have an answer ready. If you have a very high achieving DC and you are interviewed at a middling school but really want an offer in case DC has a bad day at a higher ranking school, have some waffle ready about great pastoral care or a particular facility on offer. Schools won't waste a place if they think you are just sitting DC for insurance.
5. The schools aren't expecting mini-adults. If asked about their favourite subject and DC answers 'lunch' or 'break'. This is honest and age appropriate . The interviewer will probe them further to get an academic discussion going. Don't give DC a hard time if the answered 'lunch' or 'break' or 'I don't want to come to this school because school X gave out better biscuits.' . These are 10 and 11 year olds, no matter how bright, and the interviewers know that.
LostInTheShuffle

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

NLMum27 wrote:...It's quite an unhelpful question for parents like me who have spent a lot of time making sure our children DON'T get attached to any one school given how competitive entry is. I've been telling her frequently that she mustn't set her heart on any school until we get offers as she probably won't be offered it! Ah well.
Really good point, NLMum27. We also adopted the same approach for the same reason.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I think most people do that, in the competitive situation we're in here, it would be madness to do anything else. Either DC manage to skilfully turn it round to talk about why they like the school, as DG suggested above, or the truth shines through. I think with most 10 or 11 year olds it will be quite obvious what they think. And they must have an opinion, regardless of the restraints you try to impose! Best just to chat about the things you like about the school beforehand, and remember that part of the reason they ask is to help gauge offer numbers.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

common potential questions that many applicants to private school face

What has happened recently in current events that interests you?

What do you read outside of school?

Tell us more about what you do outside of school.

Why are you interested in our school?(trap)

Tell me a bit about your family?

avoid the following

1. Do not be late.

2. Do not tell them that their school is not your first choice.

3. Do not come across as a difficult, demanding parent.

4. Do not try to impress them with your money and social position

5. Do not be overly familiar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now