Interview at Magdalen College School Oxford

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

indiemom

Re: Interview at Magdalen College School Oxford

Post by indiemom »

Yes I think the interview process was good, it was fascinating to see some kids bringing their lego model or castle built as the object to discuss about during the interview.

When I did the open morning visit on 17th Jan, I found the Year 7 boys as sweet normal inquisitive kids not very nerdy or well tailored which we liked very much.

The most amazing thing was the number of clubs that they run, whole plethora of interests and hobbies. Yes lot of London schools also have a lots of clubs but this one as well. The Year 7 kids were joking the hardest part was to decide which all to join :)

What is your/ your DS's experience NLM ?

The results will be posted on 10th and hopefully will be with us on 11th.

Best of luck to all.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Very impressed to see MCS's promptness, took 3 working days to post offer letters.
The exam was on 24th Jan, interviews on 3rd and 4th Feb (my boys were interviewed on 4th) and posted the letters on 9th, we got it on 10th.
Ok I agree that there were less number of students appearing for the exams compared to some London schools but then some schools took interviews on 22nd Jan but will be posting results on 19th Feb. :)
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

best of luck to you indie mom and nadinne!
readingdad1

Post by readingdad1 »

Is Magdalen right choice for the Kid who is very good in Maths but dont like Biology /Science ? My DS got into RGS , Magdalen and Habs .
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I know nothing about Magdalen other than that my friend's son went there for 6th form and loved it - but I would query how much a 10/11 year old can truly know about their likes and dislikes. My dd would have said she hated science in primary school but now, halfway through year 7, it's one of her favourite subjects. She has developed a love for it due to the amazingly enthusiastic attitude of her teacher (very different from her primary school teachers who were all rather more arts focused). I don't think it's reasonable to choose or dismiss a school at this age because of pre-conceptions about what a (still fairly young) child thinks they will enjoy.
OxonMum3

Post by OxonMum3 »

I'm wondering if the OP and other mcs parents are still around and able to offer more insight into the admissions process please. Thank you