Francis Holland (Regents Park) vs St Helens Northwood

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SleepyHead

Francis Holland (Regents Park) vs St Helens Northwood

Post by SleepyHead »

Trying to find out differences between these schools
Are they the same academically ? School Ethos similar?
Which would you recommend . Thanks
Catseye

Re: Francis Holland (Regents Park) vs St Helens Northwood

Post by Catseye »

The Times Rankings

St Helen's School Northwood

Rank 2014=78
Rank 2013=49
A-level
(%A*) A-level=24.4%
(%A*/A) A-level=56.3%
(%A*/B) A-level=85%
rank A-level Rank=95(=)
GCSE
(%A*/A) GCSE=81.6%
GCSE-Rank=63(=)

Francis Holland School, Regent's Park London

Rank 2014=67
Rank 2013=66
A-levels
(%A*) A-level=18.3%
(%A*/A) A-level=57.3%
(%A*/B) A-level=89%
rank A-level Rank=67(=)
GCSE
(%A*/A) GCSE=79.7%
GCSE-Rank=70

so academically splitting hairs both School are very good middle Tier Schools better than most State Grammars and close to some Super-selective Grammars
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Hi SleepyHead, these schools are a long way apart distance wise, think about your DD's journey every day and the locations of the friends she is likely to make. Also facilities and grounds, if sports are important to your DD, size of intake (is small and cosy important?), which one your gut instinct preferred when you visited..... Academically they look pretty similar, so I would choose the best fit for your DD.
Good luck!
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Thank you catseye . Would you say that Francis Holland attracts girls from mostly London or also zones 3/4 - wouldn't want Dd to feel left out - she has a 25 min on the tube into Baker Street and a 5 min walk . Quite a decent journey .
Last edited by SleepyHead on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Thank you FairyElephant - Dd would be coming in from Harrow - so really between the two schools on the met line. Likes both - thought Francis holland was small and cosy compared to St. Helens - which would suit dd better. Only wondering if other girls travel from the harrow area too.

Would be interesting to find out their geographical intake .
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Sleepyhead, St Helen's is very popular with Harrow residents so she would have playmates in the local area. St Helen's has lovely outdoor space as well.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It would be very unwise to sign up for a commute into London if you don't have to. I know many adults who refuse to do it, so not a great idea at 11 years old. St Helen's is on the up and up and I am very impressed by the Head. Their website is bursting with events and ideas. And she would have local friends and so would you among the parents. What is putting you off St Helens? See other threads where St Helens parents have posted. I know pareants who are really delighted with the school. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

One delighted St Helens parent here! :D My dd is in year 9 and is thriving at the school. There's a lovely atmosphere, relaxed but the girls work hard and achieve excellent results. The grounds are beautiful and take up a whole block but the tube is also on the doorstep which makes travel v easy. My dd now only gets the coach is the morning and takes the tube in the afternoon, she says it's v sociable.

They are set for Maths so they can work at their own pace but move up sets when they're ready. Excellent language provision, they choose 2 out of French, German, Spanish and mandarin. They also do Latin.

Wide range of clubs and extra curricular activities, something for everyone. Author visits - dd heard Sophie McKenzie and Malorie Blackman speak in Year 7. They've just had a holocaust survivor in to speak to a packed house.

Small classes of 20 and some of the maths sets are even smaller. Your dd will have lots of local friends, lots of girls from Harrow, Pinner, Ruislip etc. It's really a great school.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Couple of other things I've thought of - they seem to have got some things just right e.g. timetabling 2 week timetable, 5 lessons per day, each one of one hour long which is just right IMO. They have a long lunch break (an hour and a quarter) so plenty of time to eat, go to a club, get homework done.

They have a separate form and teaching group so they instantly have two sets of friends. Very good pastoral care and staff know how to draw out the best in each girl.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Thanks DG for a good point - and MSM for all the info about St Helens. The truth is we really like them both. Either way DD will have to travel by tube to either school, I think it comes down to a commute out of town being easier than one into town. DH thinks I'm getting ahead of myself - no firm offers yet , just interviews. Waiting now (somewhat anxiously) till D- day.

:?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now