help with choice of independent school (habs, mts, colet, ci

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Irnmaiden

help with choice of independent school (habs, mts, colet, ci

Post by Irnmaiden »

DS has done very well in his written exams and the interviews also went well and we believe that there is a very good chance that he will be offered places at haberdashers, mts, city of london and colet court. We live quite close to habs and mts is also in the vicinity. However there is a 45 minute journey to colet court and 1hr journey to city of london. In terms of the reputation for results etc, colet court appears to be the best of the lot. DS also really enjoyed the open day.

So my question is, assuming we are offered these schools, would the commuting time to colet court be worth it? Moving home is not an option. Also any view of the other schools compared to colet court will be very useful. Maybe we have just got it wrong and the other schools are just as good? DS would be happy in any of these schools so that is not an issue.

Of course we may be being too optimistic and he may not get offered all these schools -but we want to be prepared just in case.
elevenlevel

Re: help with choice of independent school (habs, mts, colet

Post by elevenlevel »

If he is smart and personable enough to get all these offers, he will do very well at any of these schools and I would avoid the long commute if at all possible. Remember his friends would be from all over London at CC or CLSB too, so socially that would be tricky.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would take HABS, if you get a chance to go to a great school nearby, take it
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

If offers are received from all of these schools then firstly congratulations to your son - and then sit down as a family and consider the following:

Where does he want to go and why?
Which school did you prefer and why?
Time spent travelling to and from school during the week - organised transport - time he would have to be at the bus/train stop every day to get to school and how much this would take out of him
Travelling to school for evening events
Travelling to school for weekend sporting fixtures

Don't be afraid of asking for another look around the schools - you won't be the first or the last to do so.

Just remember that this decision will be a way of life for the next 5-7 years!
Good luck!
manicmum

Post by manicmum »

Have to declare a bias here as my DS is at MTS and he's loving it. Feel free to PM me with any questions that you have about the school.

I could rave on about the results, the quality of care, the range and quality of additional activities .....
Clearly you have to be happy that it will address the needs and aspirations of your DS.

If it's close too then even better.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi Irnmaiden!

Hold the offer letters in your hand, visit the schools again, watch your son's body language, do trial school runs at actual school day school run times.

This is what we did for our daughter. It made a big difference.

Our views were evolving from October to March in that academic year, anyway. My favourite school was one we dropped from the final deliberations in March. In the end, we decided on these two criteria: where was she the most natural and which school had the shortest journey.

Just yesterday she announced that she and some musical friends had decided to get together today, after school, for an extra ensemble session. She will come home on public transport but will still be home by 4:30. A short commute really helps her do such things on top of Year 11 GCSE commitments and all the other activities she is involved in.

Good luck with the results and with your eventual decision.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Gosh without doubt the nearest. These good schools really are much of a muchness ultimately, while a short journey time can make a massive difference to their lives (esp tired teenagers).

Out of interest, how do you know your ds did very well in the written exams? Did you get any specific feedback? My son got interviews at the three he applied to (including one that you mention) so I know he did OK, but I have no idea how far down the pecking order he is (pessimistically assume he's scraped through to the interview cut).
CandyCrush

Post by CandyCrush »

manicmum wrote:Have to declare a bias here as my DS is at MTS and he's loving it. Feel free to PM me with any questions that you have about the school.

I could rave on about the results, the quality of care, the range and quality of additional activities .....
Clearly you have to be happy that it will address the needs and aspirations of your DS.

If it's close too then even better.
I second manicmum!

Your DS will no doubt be offered a 10% major scholarship at MTS.

He will join a group of Y7, Y8 and Y9 Scholars and go on a Scholars trip every half term. My son is part of this programme and LOVES IT!! The enrichment programme is extremely well managed and really stretches them. They're fun as well as educational - last summer, they finished the term with tickets to a dance show!

The boys are streamed in Y9 so your son will be in a class with other Scholars and the brightest boys which form their Oxbridge pool.

My DS will take his IGCSEs in Maths and French a year early.

It really is a fantastic school which I find hard to find fault with. The online weekly magazine, Scissorum, will give you an insight into the School's ethos as well as the Scholarship Programme.

Good luck with your decision.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Hi Irnmaiden,
we were in a similar position sometime ago. DS got offers and scholarships from all schools he had applied to and suddenly we were in the best but in some way the worst position to the point that we almost lost our sanity trying to decide. Ironically, DS wanted to choose the closest one to us. But we just wanted to make the "right right right" choice.
Luckily someone put some sense into us and told us to send him to the closest one. "It's a no brainer" this woman said to me. And was she right!!
I can now tell that living close to the school has been a true blessing. The flexibility it offers him and us, the extra time he is not losing in travel, the social aspect, the late rehearsals/practices/training, the times DS just texts me "I'm staying to do homework in the library, see you later". It has been half a life! And let's be honest, teenagers need their sleep as they need air.
Think of the winter nights you will be attending performances, concerts, event, parents evenings....
Of course the school has been fabulous so I guess that helps to reassure me. But all the schools you mention are so good and I doubt there will be much difference, certainly not enough to make up for the hassle anyway.
Irnmaiden

Post by Irnmaiden »

All many thanks for the insightful replies. We knew travel will not be easy but realise that this will affect us for the next 7 years! We have to reconsider all options and see what is practical in the longer term for the whole family.

Regarding how we know he did well in the exams, we blatantly asked the schools and their response indicated that he has done very well. However it may be that they give out the stock answer to all parents who ask!!! in which case we are getting ahead of ourself!

Colet Court however did reveal the standardised score which was one of the highest you could get.

I think the advise of doing the journey during peak hours/school time is excellent and I may do this a few time with DS.