Nlcs offers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Nlcs offers

Post by Daogroupie »

Candidates have until 4th March to accept or reject. HBS, DAO and Latymer offers will be out on 2nd March so I expect places to be freed up then unless parents are unable to decide and hang onto both all summer as has been known. Just four posts so far on NLCS results which bears out the success of their new English paper in identifying the girls who really understand how to answer a comprehension paper and create an advanced KS2 story. Good job, NLCS English department, I take my hat off to you and hope you will post the paper later on this year so we can all see it. DG
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

Watermelon definitely call NLCS and let them know how keen you are. I believe from a teacher friend that that really helps your case for moving up the waitlist.
A77

Post by A77 »

Are waiting lists on top of the extra offers made to account for the 'expected' rejections by successful HBS/SPGS candidates?
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

NLCS English dept. is magic! Talented, passionate, inspiring and a bit bonkers.
Congrats to those with offers. Comiserations to those without. As for waitlist, DAO is correct-ish. Some will be waiting for HB offers (it's free and excellent) and other families will be weighing up distance to SPGS. Some will also be considering siblings who have DAO places. Many will be negotiating bursaries. NLCS doesn't over offer and won't leave parents hanging any longer than necessary.
Whatever the outcome, all the DDs who made it to interview can be really proud of themselves and will do well wherever they go.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

A77 wrote:Are waiting lists on top of the extra offers made to account for the 'expected' rejections by successful HBS/SPGS candidates?

I don't know specifically for NLCS but most schools "over offer" as many kids will have 2-3 offers and can only go to one school. Occasionally they have been caught out when more than they expect accept the offer..
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

Not sure I understand the link between the limited number of posts on NLCS offers and the harder English paper. Presumably they still have the same number of places and made the same number of offers. I can see that it might enable them to be more confident that they are offering the "right" girls, but am missing the link to numbers. is there a suggestion that they will take fewer girls?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

No, same amount of places this year but it was a lot easier for them to choose who to interview this year. The English results clearly showed them who were the right candidates with potential and so they could reduce the amount of interviews and hone in on the girls best suited to their school for them a lot quicker. I know of candidates very strong in Maths, their paper would have been in the 90's, but a lot weaker in English and they did not make it to interview. DG
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Miss Worry, Hope you get SPGS as well tomorrow but the two schools are quite far apart, surely distance is going to be a consideration for you or are you planning to move? DG
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

They'll take the same number as always (around 60) but had fewer to interview as the new exam had fewer passing candidates. It's hard to explain, unless you know the school, why the new paper more accurately gauges the type of girl who will thrive but believe me when I say- It does.
Don't feel too upset if your DD didn't get through to interview. It doesn't mean they aren't super clever. NLCS is looking for a particular type of abstract thinker. Very few girls will have this quality at 11.Those that don't would have a very hard time with the teaching style at NLCS and the sophistication required in written work.
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

Shootmenow, can I ask, are there any things about the school you don't like as a parent? What do you see as the disadvantages of it, if any? I hope you don't mind these questions, I am just trying to get a clear picture of the school.
One thing I noticed. My offer doesn't include an invitation to revisit the school. Can I ask for one does anyone know? I thought a past email mentioned a chance to do this, but I can't find it now, and I would really like to do it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now