St Albans High School for Girls VS South Hampstead High Sc

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: St Albans High School for Girls VS South Hampstead Hig

Post by mad? »

LONDON GIRL wrote:Hi Daogroupie,
Thank you for your advice... I know you have a lot of knowledge and experience so please share this information and guide me to choose the right school.
Thanks again.
Daogroupie wrote:It would help if you told us about your dd and what she is interested in and what type of person she is. DG
LONDON GIRL, perhaps you should answer DG's question as asked?
mad?
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Sounds to me as she is less sporty and more academic, plus has a sibling at school nearby, that SHHS would be my choice. I have friends DDs at both and both schools are very suitable, so in your shoes I would think about the extra stress of having them at school so far apart, as my DDs are. I commute daily between St Albans area and Hampstead and it would be a significant addition to your families commute time overall-not to be taken lightly. Also there will be events happening at the same time that you need to go to, and so one child will miss out on say, you attending their concert, because the other's parent evening is on at the same time 20 miles away.
LONDON GIRL

Post by LONDON GIRL »

Hi
silverysea,

Thank you for your advice.
highwater

Post by highwater »

I know nothing about St Albans, or the school's intake, but SHHS is a VERY local school. Most girls live within walking distance, and around half of the intake comes straight up from the prep school, bringing their friendship groups with them.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi LONDONGIRL! Like you, we have a daughter at HBS.

SHHS and STAHS are very different schools. We know people with daughters at each school.

The one at STAHS went there because she didn't get in to Latymer and likes her school a lot.(Her brighter, sharper younger sister goes to Latymer.) The girls at SHHS like their school, too.

SHHS is the more urban, the more worldly and the more academic, a bit like the HBS you know. SHHS A2 results: 30% A*, 67% A*/A. STAHS A2 results: 19% A*, 54% A*/A.

Your younger daughter will be fine wherever she goes, I'm sure of that. But the travel really would be a big deal for us and so I would go for SHHS, without question.

Anyhow, congratulations to your DD and to you on her offers. And good luck with it all!
LONDON GIRL

Post by LONDON GIRL »

Hi
Jean.Brodie, highwater
Thanks for your thoughts. We have decided to go to SHHS.