Habs Vs NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Middlesexmum

Re: Habs Vs NLCS

Post by Middlesexmum »

shootmenow wrote: NLCS has a choice in 6th form of A level/PreU or IB vs Habs only offers A Levels (yes, you need to think this far in advance)
This is the current situation but who knows how things will change in 5 years' time? I think it's a little short sighted to choose a school based on this criteria, things could change.

NLMum - I don't have personal experience of the two schools but I have a neighbour who babysits for us who is currently in her last year at NLCS and has been there since the age of 7. She is under a lot of pressure and she says in many ways the school is responsible for this. She has friends at Habs and it is definitely more relaxed there. When she was doing her personal statement for university for example, the school insisted it was in well before any of the other schools. I'm sure there are many NLCS parents who will come back to say that this isn't the case for their daughters but I am just reporting what this girl has said.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

I agree that things can change in 5 years time but you have to look at schools as you find them now. If Habs is thinking about a change in exam systems, it should be planning for it now and communicating this to current and prospective parents. IB is a huge undertaking for the schools in terms of organisation and resources. You can ask about future plans for changes when you see the schools.

DD1 doesn't feel particularly pressured. IB comes with a heavier workload (she knew that going in) but she has been taught to be organised and prioritise so finds it manageable. She certainly isn't chained to her desk!
They do ask for the 1st draft of the PS early (DS's school was the same) so that the girls have time to really think if they are choosing the right course. If they can't drum up enough enthusiasm and passion for a particular subject, better to find out when there is time to switch focus. Lots of guidance is given during the process.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Additionally, you'll find stressy girls at all schools. It's more a function of the individual girl's personality and sometimes, sadly, parental pressure than anything the school is actually doing. DD1's friends who are stressy now were the same in yr 7. DD1 is more laid back than many but hardly unusual. DD2 is more highly strung and a perfectionist. Her teachers had this sussed before half term of yr 7 and keep her in check.

You can ask the schools what they do to support girls who are feeling stressed.

NLCS will intervene if parents are piling on pressure or pushing girls towards subjects that don't suit their interests or abilities. They keep a very close eye on girls who aren't managing their workload efficiently and teachers have an 'open office' policy for anyone who wants extra help or just a chat. It helps that grades are confidential and that there are no academic prizes or rankings. They also know that there is no cull- unless a girl is very unhappy and she or her parents want to move, the school will support and keep the girl. DD1 found, after being off ill, that they all volunteered to extend deadlines, email class notes and give make-up lessons during lunch and break.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

That is true shootmenow and a lot of it is down to personality and parental pressure. But I have to say my neighbour is not the first girl I have talked to who reports the huge amount of pressure which comes from the school. I also know quite a few girls at Habs and there really is a more relaxed feel there. But each school has its own culture and identity, nothing wrong with that.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

shootmenow wrote: DD1 found, after being off ill, that they all volunteered to extend deadlines, email class notes and give make-up lessons during lunch and break.
I would expect this as a bare minimum at any decent school! :D
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

You'd be shocked and appalled by some, then. Sad but true.
dreamon

Post by dreamon »

I would visit both schools again and 'visualise' your dd at each -
-what activities appeal to her?
-Where does she feel she can be herself?
-does she like the feel of the school?

Habs Girls is holding a coffee morning on Friday morning for offer holders where there will be current parents, students and staff. The reception staff and admissions dept have been really warm and patient in answering our queries and keen to feel 'welcoming'. Of course, this may just be 'marketing', but NLCS are very good at that side too!

This is a lovely decision to have to make and I wish you and your dd well!
dreamon

Post by dreamon »

Sorry, forgot to mention, with regards to pressure at both schools, I agree with previous posters who say it is down to 'individual personality'. Some dd thrive under a little pressure and others crumble. Adults are the same too but this is where the 'social' aspect of each school is important.