Habs Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dreamon

Habs Girls

Post by dreamon »

Hi All,

I wonder if there are any current Habs Girls parents who can offer positives/negatives about this school?

We are at decision making stage and would welcome some views about what current dd's like and dislike about school? What kind of girls thrive here and my dd is interested in how the lunches are :lol:

Thanks to anyone willing to share!
dreamon

Re: Habs Girls

Post by dreamon »

Lots of 'views' but no responses ....is Habs Girls a 'secret society'?

Or perhaps everyone is away on half term (in which case we won't fit in as we won't be able to afford it :lol: )

Joking aside, I really would be grateful for some info and would welcome PMs if easier.

Many thanks!
vas

Post by vas »

Hi dreamon,

Just thought I can reply on the lunch part :D as I think it's the same caterers for both the boys and girls. Per my son it's okay, but he takes packed lunch most of the time!

The girls I know from Habs are confident and lovely.

They share the coach with the boys.

It's highly unlikely any girl will be unhappy or not thrive in such a school. Are you comparing Habs girls against any other?
dreamon

Post by dreamon »

Thanks Vas!
Yes, comparing to St Helens which appears to be on the up.

Keen to know more about Habs so that I can make an informed decision. Both schools are equidistant for us so quite torn as both seem excellent choices and I know we are fortunate to have a choice.

I wonder if Habs has an 'open day' for offer holders so that we can take another look....any ideas?
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

habs girls does allow offer holders to revisit the school so take them up on it. We did that for CLSG, Habs and Channing before making the decision to go for Habs (DD liked the DT labs and I liked the vibe). This was 3 years ago. DD very happy at the school - its academic but in the right way, i.e. its about encouraging intellectual curiosity rather than just being academically competitive. Although I understand St Helens is similar so you can't go wrong!
animal

Post by animal »

My DD is in her second year at Habs and very happy. I'd second the idea of revisiting schools once the offers are in - it's a different ballgame once the decision is yours and not theirs.

My DD thinks the food is bad but they are rebuilding the lunch hall so it's quite a difficult time for the caterers. She takes packed lunch every day.

I really liked the atmosphere at Habs - very collaborative between students and teachers which I thought was very good. They really want every girl to achieve her potential. There also appear to be endless opportunities in a "sky's the limit" kind of way.

If they've offered your daughter a place then they know she will fit in (deputy told us they don't get that part wrong) so you have to go with your gut when choosing between two great schools.
dreamon

Post by dreamon »

Thank you, Finchleymum and animal.

Your responses have really helped to build a picture. This year, there is no visit day for offer holders when looking at paperwork with offer letter but I shall ask the school if we may visit.

Great to hear that your dd's are thriving here and that you are happy with your choice.
Zoersel

Post by Zoersel »

Our DD joined Habs knowing absolutely no-one in her year and she has been there a couple of years now. I can honestly say she could not be happier and has thrived at this academically challenging, caring and unpretentious school. Our DD has a large (and uncomplicated) cohort of very positive friendships with the girls in her year. The extensive (and very flexible) bus network is a godsend and she enjoys the social interaction with the Habs boys she travels in with. Foreign exchanges, plays and concerts are often done in conjunction with Habs boys too, which seems to strike a happy medium between plenty of opportunities for boy/girl friendships whilst enabling girls to have their own space just to be themselves in lessons.

We also really like the teachers... a lot of them are young and happily quirky, something which engenders the development of girls' individual identity, which Habs is well known for (it just isn't the kind of outfit that produces a groomed and polished identikit product!)

Drawbacks? Only one I can think of is that DD not mad about the food - mainly because the canteen gets busy and she finds it more flexible to go off and sit somewhere on campus to eat with friends as soon as she is hungry at lunch break. New dining facilities nearing completion right now, for the time being she is happy just to organise her own packed lunch every day.

Frankly, I can't rate the school highly enough.
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

Interesting, in my ask around, (we are choosing between NLCS and Habs) I was also told by existing parents that Habs food is not good. I'm surprised by that, both DD of the parents I asked also took a packed lunch.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now