DAO or St Albans High School for Girls?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: DAO or St Albans High School for Girls?

Post by Daogroupie »

What opinions do your dds have on the two schools? Have they spent much time there? DG
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Sounds like you could send DD1 to DAO with confidence, and let DD2 sit for SAHS (and DAO if she doesn't want to rely on the sibling place and prefers to sits as DAOGroupie's DD2 did I recall) next year. Then if you still feel DD2 is under confident and needs the smaller single sex environment and she wins a place you can opt for that, but if she has grown out of her lack of confidence/fallen in love with DAO you have a place at a truly excellent school in the bag. I would not worry about having one child in an indie and the other in DAO in terms of equality.
possum

Post by possum »

I would take DAO for DD1. It sounds like the perfect school for her. As for DD2, she will change a lot in yr 6 and DAO may well be the best choice for her too. She is academic enough for DAO and even if she doesn't get in on her own I would have no hesitation in accepting a sibling place if she suits the school this time next year. As for SAHS, it is a wonderful school but I am not entirely sure that your DD would be any more nurtured there than at DAO. By sending DD1 to DAO you keep all options open for DD2.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Thanks for that very sensible advice.

We haven't spent much time in either school other than open days and tours in both. DD could see the pros in each. We loved the space in DAO and some of the facilities such as the new science block were fantastic. SAHS was smaller but seemed cosier and we all thought the new Head inspirational with a keen interest in academics, but also well being and encouraging positive risk taking amongst girls. Wasn't so sure about the Head at DAO- (he spent a lot of time talking about behavioural expectations which made me wonder if behaviour was a problem for the school!) but I realise I only got a snapshot.
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

you should also think about sixth form. St Albans girls has a cull for girls they think will not do well (may not apply to your DD but worth knowing) whereas DAO asks its own students for 6 Bs only (anyone coming in from another school would have to do much better than that!).

I have friends with children at both schools. I would say from what they tell me that DAO (top set) is more academic but it helps that it attracts motivated parents across the piece.

Its a lovely dilemma really. But like most people on this thread, I would (if given the choice) go for the good state option over private any day. Interesting that you do not mention any of the other usual suspects - HBS, Latimer etc.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Thanks finchley mum. We're not in the postcode area for Latymer and with traffic, HBS would take well over an hour to get to each morning, as would Habs and NLCS so we didn't enter her for these schools on that basis.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

According to the DAO website the external entry criteria are 5 Bs at GCSE, Bs in subject to be studied at AS and at least a C in English & maths. I don't think they are legally allowed to have different entry criteria for external candidates. Privates schools can do as they please, of course.
scary mum
copella

Post by copella »

However with huge numbers applying external candidates will need As to get in. I know this as we looked at it for sixth form last year, know externals who got in and friends who work there also confirmed this.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO has huge numbers applying for the sixth form so you would need very good academic results to get in. The catchment area does not apply so many who were prevented from applying in Y6 can apply in Y11. The Head likes to give the huge amount of people who are interested in applying in Y6 lots of good reasons not to apply. He knows that this will not put off those who really want to come but may discourage others. They had 1300 apply to sit the exam in September. They would far rather have a lot less as it costs so much to run the tests and hundreds don't even get their English and Maths marked. DAO are not interested in having huge numbers apply for either Y7 or Y12. But when anyone can, many do! I would imagine that HBS, QE and Latymer feel the same way. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, oversubscription criteria can use average points or total points as a tie-break.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now