Lessons learnt 2015

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

Re: Lessons learnt 2015

Post by fairyelephant »

Although my lessons learnt are from 2013 and 2014, I do think that the levels aren't an absolute given as they measure slightly different things to the 11 plus. DD was level 5 by the end of year 5, DS was not in English. However he did practice the right sort of papers and we worked out a system to boost his creative writing mark. He also learnt how to answer different sorts of comp questions, all in a very targeted way (I was quite worried he wasn't up to it!). I've posted lots on this before. He didn't get a whole brace of offers but he did get the one he really wanted (claims to have made tears come into the interviewer's eyes with his enthusiastic list of reasons he wanted to go there - suspect she was holding in guffaws). He is not struggling in English now he is there, in fact inspiring teaching has made him believe he can do it now.
Practicalities are important. DS missed at least 20 mins of Sutton mocks in the loo and did the same in his first indie exam, missing most of maths. I think it was nerves but they need to go at every opportunity, and not too quickly either, IYKWIM. :lol:
In North London there are more indie schools and places for girls. In my view that made it much more stressful with a DS.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

My boys were not 5a by end of year 5 but they managed to get offers from all but one. If a child is at 5a then he/she is scholar candidate IMHO :)
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

CLSG has a similar perspective:
How can I judge whether my daughter has a good chance of being offered a place at CLSG for Year 7 entry?

If your daughter has achieved National Curriculum Level 5 in English and Maths by the end of Year 5 or has an NFER Verbal Reasoning score above 115, then she probably has a good chance of being offered a place. This should be considered as merely a guideline as the actual level will depend upon the competition in any given year.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

indiemom wrote:My boys were not 5a by end of year 5 but they managed to get offers from all but one. If a child is at 5a then he/she is scholar candidate IMHO :)
indiemom, is this the school assessment level? If yes, then there could be reasons:

1) Some schools do not test beyond certain levels for certain years thus capping levels to a certain figure.
2) In some schools, parents evening happen in the first two terms and reports in the third term. Parents evening happen immediately after first half term so the reports probably happen after the first half term of summer term. If so, report will record assessment levels up to May half term.
3) Usually 11+ preparation starts picking up from May (after Easter in some cases) till September. So, even though school report shows a lower level many DCs may have gained a/few sub level/s by end of Year 5/before 11+.
Many DCs may have shown a level jump in first term of Year 6 to the surprise of their teachers.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Here are my thoughts about the 11+ process:

It is not for the faint hearted.
It is a marathon, not a sprint, i.e. start early in year 5.
Level 5a necessary at the end of year 5 for the top selective.
Get DC to read, read, read, ideally for pleasure.
A good English paper will outweigh a good maths paper.
Get a tutor if necessary.
A dip in performance can happen just before half term in year 6. The DC then needs a rest, not more practice papers, and lots of reassurance and cuddles.
Have plans B that you are happy with.
It is a minefield; friendships amongst mums will be tested.
Have extra curriculum activities, ideally sporty and cultural.

I am not doing this again. I have put my younger 2 children in an all through school I am happy with and I am feeling pretty content right now that this is all over :) .
aman

Post by aman »

Many members have pm ed me to know the tips. Thought of posting the reply here too, may be of some help....

My top tip... Don't get overwhelmed or stressed. Keep going without bothering even if others think these schools are unachievable!
Plan your strategy, undeestand ur child's strength n weakness n just work on those. No tutor can beat ur own bespoke plan for ur child. Having said that, no harm in getting external help if u can't manage, but u should be the director n supervisor to ensure things are in right direction.
Work on vocabulary, making logical connections are the keys to CEM, iMO.

Keep ur cool, direvt the child but push, motivate them positively. do ur work diligently, don't be overagessive, just a gentle push to the goal n the child will reach where they belong to. Overprep might get them offers but will be unsustainable so be realistic n sensitive to child's real ability, as the goal is not to get them a good school for year 7 but s svhool which suits them n sustainable for 7 years.

best of luck!