HELP City of London v Parmiters

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
millean

HELP City of London v Parmiters

Post by millean »

My bright confident DS originally very keen on Parmiters now wavering after offer from City. He loves sport in particular football. The decision is very marginal. Would appreciate any comments in particular which does sport/football better
Thanks
Kingfisher

Re: HELP City of London v Parmiters

Post by Kingfisher »

These are a very long way apart. How would you feel about a long journey in and out of London 10 times a week? If your DS is sporty, he will be staying after school for fixtures and so on. You will need to factor this into your decision.

Either way, he has done very well to get these offers!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did you visit the PE departments of both schools? A lot can be gleaned from looking on the noticeboards and seeing which other schools they are playing and how many matches are scheduled and how many different teams are playing. My dd was absolutely loving HBS at the open day until we went down to the PE department. The noticeboards told us everything we needed to know about what would be available compared to other selectives we were looking at. Things are probably different now they have done a major upgrade but we could clearly see the situation. We play Parmiters all the time, they have a very strong PE department. I don't know about City but they could well have to travel to their sports ground as many inner city schools have to even out of London like St Albans boys and girls. DG
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DS and DD are at Parmiter's. Both are into sport and love it there.
millean

Post by millean »

Thanks for the replies so far. My gut feeling is Parmiters but City did a good sell job and so I now need to try and do a sell job for Parmiters with my DS-should I take him to see the Headmaster or Sports teacher assuming they are willing?

Thanks for anyone's comments
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Go and watch some games. They are sure to be playing after school next week or on Saturday. Get KS10's ds to go and look on the noticeboard and find out when the games are. DG
KS10

Post by KS10 »

This might help for now: http://www.parmiters.herts.sch.uk/filea ... Spring.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
millean

Post by millean »

Thanks for everyone's comments appreciate it
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

millean, I work in sport, both my DCs play county level sport and my eldest is going to (hopefully) study a sport-related degree at university next year. It's fair to say we are a 'sporty' family.

All that is a precursor to advising against choosing a school on the basis of its football team. One can always access sport outside of school, whether the level required is a Sunday morning kick around or the academy at a professional club. (Some of DS's friends are now 18 and getting paid to play semi-professional football, quite an enjoyable Saturday 'job' :D ).

I don't know either school personally so can't advise on choosing between them, but if your son is really good at football he's likely to be playing outside school anyway, for clubs.
simon

Post by simon »

I had this choice last year, chose CLSB (over Habs where my other two are) and I think it is a fantastic school. They really know how to keep them motivated and performing and my son is far more engaged in his education that he has ever been. The pastoral case is fantastic, my son loves the sport and they are a great bunch of boys.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now