Why do you need to register early at an independent school?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fantasyvn2008

Why do you need to register early at an independent school?

Post by fantasyvn2008 »

Could you pls explain?

I read that many prestigious independent schools advise parents to register 'as early as possible'. For example, below is the statement from Radley College:

"Boys are admitted to Radley from the age of 13. They may be added to the entry lists from birth and it is advisable to enter a boy’s name as early as possible. A registration fee of £100 is charged for putting a boy’s name down on the registration lists but registration does not itself guarantee a place in the school."

What are the advantages when you register early? Does it increase your child's opportunity even though all schools would say 'registration does not itself guarantee a place'?

Thank you
kenyancowgirl

Re: Why do you need to register early at an independent scho

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You have to be registered before you are allowed to sit the entrance test....you have to pass the entrance test and meet any other entrance criteria before you are offered a place...it all starts with registration and, as parents are able to register early, they do. In very "prestigious" (and I use the word advisedly) schools, early registration is not about advantage, it's necessity. For e.g., if you haven't registered for places like Eton very, very early on in your child's life, the chances of being allowed to register (and therefore sit the entrance tests) becomes much slimmer.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

I disagree. I think truly prestigious schools allow you to register late (or should do) - for them it's about getting the best candidates rather than the ones with the most decisive or organised parents.

We were undecided about doing private school exams until after doing my son's state school CAF (which you have to submit by the end of October). We then registered for three private schools (all in London, all selective and considered prestigious) by the end of November ie about 10 months before September 2015 entry. Westminster 11+, which we didn't do, had only a marginally earlier cut-off date.
floreatetona

Post by floreatetona »

Radley is a bit of a one off,it works on a first come first served basis,many parents use it as a back up for Eton etc,it does however allow some late entrants via The Wardens List,I know little about provincial day schools,but Eton for example just asks that you register by 10 years six months,its a myth that the parent who registers from the birthing unit has an advantage,most parents we know that are looking at boarding options have registered by the end of year 6,those for the top schools(sorry,dump on the hump :wink: ) have usually sorted things out by the end of year 5,then its just the little matter of the pre selection tests etc...
fantasyvn2008

Post by fantasyvn2008 »

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

To floreatetona: do you mean that people will have a unique advantage if they register early at Radley?
floreatetona

Post by floreatetona »

Radley is the one school that I can think of that just works its way down its registration list,it really is first come first served,get in early enough and youll be offered a place subject to passing the entrance exam,leave it late and youll be stuck trying to get in via The Wardens list, its a very traditional school and is seen by many people as the safe back up if you fail to get into Eton.
There is no advantage in registering early at Eton,10 years 6 months is the cut off,as long as you are registered by then,you can take the test,do the interview and have a one in four chance of getting a conditional place...Then its just the small matter of passing CE..
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

It used to be, a few years ago I believe, that if you did well enough in pre-tests at popular schools like Wycombe & Eton you were a shoe-in/CE a formality. I am not sure this is the case any more (especially if not a stand out in extra curriculars like music & sport)?

It's become more 'first past the post' post pre-test & if you are coming from a State etc you may not be considered differently from those coming from a feeder prep. In other words it's quite possible to be in the top 20 per cent in terms of IQ/potential/pre-test results (out of those that were given a conditional offer) then get only 60/65 percent in CE, and not get a place. A score that might have got you in in previous years. (I think you are likely to get a lower conditional offer if you have something they feel will enrich the school community, stand out talent/sport etc). The top schools really can pick & choose as never before. If they have absolute academic, future dead A star certs applying that also ace CE (beyond 80 per cent in all papers) & can really enrich the school community they will take these first.

I was told that any good school would be flexible about admissions deadlines but some have clear rules e.g Eton, Wycombe, Benenden.
floreatetona

Post by floreatetona »

If you get the offer from Eton ,then CE should be no problem,failures at CE are very rare indeed,however Eton are not just looking for brains,you have to bring something to the school beyond that,they have said that they dont just want faces in front of a screen(if thats what you are,then youd be far better off at W.........,)
Eton dont make lower conditional offers,you have to get the required mark across the board,Eton want a mixture,boys that will get fully involved in everything the school offers,they dont want boys that are just academic,you have to offer more,as Little has said"boys that bring something to the party"
Amber

Post by Amber »

floreatetona wrote:"boys that bring something to the party"
Like shedloads of Daddy's money? :D
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Interesting re: Eton not making lower conditional offers at CE. (I don't know much about boys schools. Do they decide they have to 'bring something else to the party' at conditional offer stage?- I guess so).

I think some of the most selective girls schools do make 'different' conditional offers at 11 plus/CE at 11. Certainly we were told whether we had an A list or B list offer at some at pre-test stage. It's in the wording of the letters too. E.g 'We are usually able to offer places to those that make the required standard in CE but we reserve the right to adjust the passmark depending upon the average mark in any given year' compared to 'we are delighted to inform you that if your child meets the required standard in CE (65%) a place will be guaranteed'. There was a relatively long wait list at Wycombe too this year. Most girls had effectively passed the exam I think. Not all were offered a place.

DD definitely had lower conditional offers at 2 of the schools we applied for. These went to the top of our list as we felt they were keen to have her (which was nice) & were also looking at potential (of course we felt they were a good fit for her too).

All felt difficult to navigate but imagine if at Preps they can advise re: above and are in the know.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now