State school intake to St Albans High, Habs etc

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
teaandcaketins

State school intake to St Albans High, Habs etc

Post by teaandcaketins »

Hi all. Just wondered if anyone knew what the state school intake was for St Albans High School, Habs and other Herts/ North London independents? We are currently debating moving our DD out of her state school and into a prep, and one of the factors for us to consider is whether going to a prep will give her an advantage at the 11 plus.
Any other thoughts on prep school v. local state school very much appreciated - we are so torn!
Thank you.
Daogroupie

Re: State school intake to St Albans High, Habs etc

Post by Daogroupie »

In my opinion it will not give you any academic advantage. I know of many state school students already at Habs and St Albans and those who planning to sit in January. Girls I know at Habs tell me the preps are considered not as academic as those who come in via exam as they get an easier ride.

There is a social advantage for those who have been together since four as the parents know each other.

State school intake is very high at both schools as many prepare for the State selectives like Watford, Parmiters, DAO, Latymer, and HBS and then go onto sit the private schools in January. Having worked through the summer for September state exams they are already at a high level when they start prep for the private exams.

If you are planning to sit any of the state selectives the preps will not prepare you as they do not start their preparation until September.
DG
bushhillmum

Re: State school intake to St Albans High, Habs etc

Post by bushhillmum »

I agree with DAO that prep schools will not give you an academic advantage. In our case, our DD is at a state school and was able to make the Habs exam and interview, definitely not down to the state school either. Students from prep feeder schools into Habs tell me that the prep school did little to prepare them. The only thing I think that could be gained from a prep school is the attitude to striving for excellence overall, depending on which one you go for (the same cannot be said for all of them) and depending on your child's personality - he/she may not need it anyway if they are a self-starter or self-motivated and have a strong work ethic at home.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now