Independent schools with Sports bursaries

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
target2016

Independent schools with Sports bursaries

Post by target2016 »

Hi,

Was looking for advice (name/location) on private schools which are most likely to provide scholarship/bursary for sporty DS.

Hertfordshire and around areas.

I'm not too worried about academic excellence or league tables.

Thanks
Rob Clark

Re: Independent schools with Sports bursaries

Post by Rob Clark »

Define 'sporty' – ie is he exceptional at one particular sport or generally good at lots? Some schools prefer an all-rounder who will contribute to the 'sporting life' of the school; others are looking for boys who are exceptionally talented in one area so the school can 'boast' of having nationally-ranked students.

As a general guide:

Merchant Taylors', Berkhamsted, Haileybury all do offer the possibility of sports-related scholarships/bursaries.

St Albans and Haberdashers, I believe, do not.
Century14

Post by Century14 »

St Edmund's College in Ware definitely offers sports scholarships. Although independent and requiring an academic exam to gain a place, I understand that it is not as highly academic as some other local independents.
taffy123

Post by taffy123 »

St Edmund's College near Ware awards sports scolarships/bursaries.

From their website;

Scholarship & Bursaries

Through our Scholarship programme, we seek to encourage children with academic, sporting, artistic, musical and 'all round' abilities to attend the College and Prep. Each year the Governors set aside a fixed sum to be used for scholarships and their granting is delegated by the Governors to the Headmaster. The number and size of awards in any particular year is at the discretion of the Headmaster. In cases of need for applicants for Elements, the Headmaster will consider supplementing an award with a bursary to enable the award to be taken up where a bursary has been applied for.
taffy123

Post by taffy123 »

Century14 wrote:St Edmund's College in Ware definitely offers sports scholarships. Although independent and requiring an academic exam to gain a place, I understand that it is not as highly academic as some other local independents.
I'm a minute too late!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Bishops Stortford College is very sporty and has fantastic grounds and facilities. Worth checking to see if they offer anything. DG
target2016

Post by target2016 »

Thanks for your replies!
Rob - by "sporty" I meant exceptional at one sport (according to numerous coaches/trainers at all levels he plays for) and good at a couple of others.
My main worry is that he might not be a "high achiever" in any academic entrance examinations for private schools :roll: and that could damage his chances...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

St Edmund's is, according to the 'welcome' from the HT, 'a profoundly Catholic institution'. Are you looking for a faith school?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
target2016

Post by target2016 »

Hi ToadMum - If it happens to be a faith school that's fine, but I'm not looking for one. In fact I would prefer it not to have any religious overbearing.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

BS is exceptional at Hockey for girls, not sure if boys also play. They do not compete in the County Athletic Championships which Habs or St Albans usually win, nor do St Ed's. The girls are usually finalists in the County Hockey and Netball. St Ed's is not in that league for any girls sports that I know of.

Haileybury is a very sporty school and I don't know anyone that has ever failed to pass their academic tests. Both dds took them and found them very easy compared to DAO, HBS, City and Habs. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now