Winchester caps applicants from schools in Asia for 2018

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Winchester caps applicants from schools in Asia for 2018

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lots of little boys in Asia, running around with a Winchester cap on.... :lol: :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Lots of little boys in Asia, running around with a Winchester cap on.... :lol: :lol:
Oi, stop it :lol:. At least it now conveys the reality of the situation, which one hopes the OP meant to do in the first place...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Lots of little boys in Asia, running around with a Winchester cap on.... :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

:lol:
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Sakura

Post by Sakura »

Thanks for changing the title appropriately.
I understand their need of controlling the number of regional balance to maintain the school tradition without sounding racially discriminative. Without it the cohort of all competitive private schools would look like super selective state grammars.

I would assume selection by region is normal practice in such schools but I think it should always be kept behind the doors and shouldn't be open. I find it amusing to find Winchester has made it clear about such practice. Number of Russian students in the UK have increased double whereas the number of Japanese have halved the last decade and you hardly see Japanese boys in "public schools''. I can't stop feeing bitter about it as the population of both country is about the same.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

The population of Russia is about 20% larger than that of Japan, but I'd expect the economic sanctions to have an effect on the numbers attending fee-paying schools in the UK.

Parents who choose fee-paying schools in the UK, perhaps more specifically in England, are looking for something that isn't exactly akin to what's on offer at an international school; there are plenty of those - many excellent - overseas, often with English as the language of instruction. You talk about "maintaining the tradition". I agree. It seems obvious that schools need a decent chunk of children who speak English with the fluency of a native or truly bilingual speaker and who are immersed in the broader Anglo culture. Without that, the appeal of such schools to fee-payers both local and overseas would surely diminish.

The cohort of superselective grammars you mention, looks as it does simply because every child there scored ahead of most competing applicants in challenging exams. I'm not claiming that entry to superselectives is egalitarian, because I'm aware that lots of candidates are tutored and/or use private schools where test preparation is a focus, but that is also true of every highly selective fee-paying school. The point is that it is possible for a bright, hard working child from a state school to succeed just on the basis of preparation at home with parents and get offers from superselective grammars (AND top tier indies where money alone can't buy a place).

For superselectives, performance trumps everything else. "Grey matter" and the application of it, is actually colourless, as it should be.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now