CAT score requirements for Grammar and Indie Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brien7

CAT score requirements for Grammar and Indie Schools

Post by Brien7 »

I am looking at putting my child forward early for the 10+ exam and just wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing by possibly not giving child opportunity to try for grammar if successful with the 10+ in Jan.
To help understand what grammars look for, does anyone know what type of CAT score range is typical for grammar and independent schools respectively.
PettswoodFiona

Re: CAT score requirements for Grammar and Indie Schools

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I don't know about levels but in our area any child applying early must already be in Y6. They also don't let you sit it a second time if it doesn't work in the early year so you have to be sure. I also don't know how the age standardisation works so best to check that too. My DD is ahead of her peers but we didn't sit her early as it was too much of a risk and she sat this year and did really well so we are glad we waited even though she was itching to change schools.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is a question that can only be answered in reference to the schools you are applying for. The schools are quite different in each region. In some areas like North London the grammar schools are much much harder to get into than the private schools. A huge bunch of boys have already got very low scores for QE and this week another group will not get a high enough score for HBS, DAO and Latymer.

Many of those students will go onto secure places at Habs, MT, NLCS and St Albans. some with scholarships.

I know of students who have taken the 10 plus for City, taken the place and then moved to one of the state selectives for Y7 onwards.

I recommend taking the 10 plus to students I know of to get an idea of what level they are currently working at.

Is it City you are interested in? DG
firefox

Post by firefox »

Brien7 wrote:I am looking at putting my child forward early for the 10+ exam and just wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing by possibly not giving child opportunity to try for grammar if successful with the 10+ in Jan.
To help understand what grammars look for, does anyone know what type of CAT score range is typical for grammar and independent schools respectively.
Depends on the school. As a guide though, DS did the 10+ last year for Whitgift and Trinity and his CAT scores were high 130's for Maths and Low 120's for English. For most schools of that ilk, I would say 120ish and above.

He managed to get scholarships to both schools but the beauty of indies is that they take a far more holistic view of the child than a grammar school can (interview and Headteacher report are very important) and they are interesting in potential as opposed to simply passing an exam

Which school(s) do you have in mind?
Brien7

Post by Brien7 »

Firefox are you saying that Whitgift and Trinity both look for CAT scores over 120? What then would the Sutton grammar schools be looking for? This is the area I am interested in, but based on those scores you have given, I may need to reconsider. Son recently scored around the 115 mark and was told that was above average..... :roll:
What schools should be looking at then? Anyone?
Webbol

Post by Webbol »

I've just been looking into this as my DD has just got her GCSE predictions based on her CATs. 19% of students are classed 'above average', with scores 111-126. Another 4% of students have 'very high' scores of 127-140. So with a score of 115 you are above about 80% of your peers. So that's why the school you are looking at is so important. If they are very selective you might have to be in the top 5% say. In some areas 'grammar material' is considered above 120- my colleagues have been focussed on this number. But in my area with few schools and more competition my DD needed to be aiming higher. Presumably you have time to work on exam technique and do some mocks?
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

My ds has been CAT tested for the past two years (now in Yr 5). His VR/Maths consistently 141 and NVR around 135. However, he is not particularly quick so I'm not sure whether CATS are a good measure of whether you'll pass entrance exams/11+. At Westminster Under School a couple of years ago, someone asked a question about this on the Open Day and they said they were looking in the region of 135 across the board (their tests have now changed plus interviews at the Independents are very important).

I think for the Superselective grammar schools (I'm thinking St Olaves/Tiffins) you are probably looking at children who can work very fast and are consistently in the 135+ range across the board.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now