Should I be disclosing names of other schools in Habs applic

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CARINGMUM2015

Should I be disclosing names of other schools in Habs applic

Post by CARINGMUM2015 »

Hello all,

further to my application for sitting the exam, I have now received a letter from Habs asking me to confirm my dd's details and also disclose names of other schools we are considering for our daughter.

I have read varied responses on this forum about interview qs and what is the best way to approach them. Detailing the names of other schools seems like a two way sword- on one hand disclosing the names, suggests that your child is bright and has secured few grammar schools. However on the other hand, the school may conclude that they may not be the first choice for the child.

Please advise how best to respond to this question.

many thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Should I be disclosing names of other schools in Habs ap

Post by Daogroupie »

Firstly why are you applying to Habs when you have a top ten rank at DAO and so a guaranteed place?

You obviously feel that Habs has something to offer that DAO lacks so it must be a higher ranked school for you than DAO so tell them that.

I know of students who ranked 80's to 90's at DAO last year who applied for Habs, St Albans and NLCS just in case the DAO ranks did not go that far but you do not have that problem.

I have had a lot of dealings with Habs admissions and I have a high regard for them.

If DAO did not exist Habs or HBS would have been our chosen school.

Tell them whatever it is you feel that Habs can offer you that DAO cannot.

If you take the Habs place you are going to change the lives of a family on the DAO waiting list so lots of people will be happy!

I know of 10 girls who were offered places at Habs girls last year, most of them had not managed to get a place at DAO or HBS or Latymer or were not in the catchment area or were at prep schools and wanted to stay in the private sector.

Habs is a great school but their exams will be straightforward for a student who has secured a top ten rank at DAO.

So you might at well think now what your decision will be in January and if it is going to be Habs then tell them so.

Habs lose a lot of girls to NLCS each year and vice versa so they are just collecting data so they can get a better idea of how many offers to make.

If you have criteria you are looking for tell them about it so they can help you decide.

Which other private schools are you sitting? DG
CARINGMUM2015

Post by CARINGMUM2015 »

Thank you DAOgroupie.

We have applied to NLCS and Habs for the following reasons:
1. Oxbridge transfer from these two schools seem to be much higher than DAO.
2. overall results and position in the league tables suggests that the above two are better placed than DAO.

DAO is a fab school and we may ultimately go for it but dd has seen both NLCS and Habs and wants to try and see if she can secure a scholarship place.

BTW the form sent to us only asks us to detail the names of other schools and does not ask for any reasons as to why we prefer one over the other. I suspect that might be an interview question.

Given you have relevant experience for NLCS and Habs, do you mind sharing some tips on how best to prepare for the persuasive writing piece.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Most schools ask this question, but how they use it varies. They know that parents will underdisclose rather than over disclose. They use it to:-

*understand who their current "competition" is. Are pupils applying from further afield, are they seen a close competitor to say SPGS, or are they mainly a back-up for state options
* have an idea about the numbers of people applying for independent schools. Independent schools will over-offer their places, usually by a significant proportion eg 2 or more offers for every place available. They have to make estimates, but they can't afford to be wildly inaccurate when they make their offers.
* for an individual pupil is this a back up school, or an aspirational choice

I would say that it is very rare for a school to use this data in such a way as it would lower that child's chances of getting a place. Rare, but not impossible. It is essentially just marketing data.
CARINGMUM2015

Post by CARINGMUM2015 »

Thank you Ladymuck.

Do you think I should disclose both state grammar and other private schools?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I wouldn't list your entire CAF, but they would expect most parents to be looking at 3 schools, so no harm in listing another private and your preferred state.

I've just read over your response to DG:
We have applied to NLCS and Habs for the following reasons:
1. Oxbridge transfer from these two schools seem to be much higher than DAO.
2. overall results and position in the league tables suggests that the above two are better placed than DAO.
If this is what you are making judgements upon, then you need to ask Habs and NLCS closely about what proportion of their 6th form are new joiners, as well as what the criteria is for staying on after GCSE and also after the 1st year of 6th form. I often find that schools can make a significant jump up the league tables by, say, not letting anyone who got a C or worse at AS sit the A level. Now, I don't know the schools that well, and I am sure that there will be other differences, but essentially league tables results can often be improved by restricting the options available to pupils. No idea if that is at play here, but it is worth enquiring about - eg how many pupils do not continue to the 2nd year of A levels.
CARINGMUM2015

Post by CARINGMUM2015 »

that's a useful steer ladymuck- thanku.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think it is rather a shame that these two are the only criteria by which you are choosing where your dd spends the next seven years.

But your attitude will greatly benefit another family who will see more in an education at DAO than you do. DG
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

My DD started Habs this Sept, we listed the schools we had applied to. It didn't make a difference, she got offers from all the schools we chose Habs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now