Whitgift exams for 2016 entry

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ahmedfamily

Re: Whitgift exams for 2016 entry

Post by Ahmedfamily »

PurpleDuck wrote:
Ahmedfamily wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:I asked a staff member at Trinity this morning how many applications they received this year for 11+ and he said '380ish for 80 places'.
I also asked this and I was told 480 for 80 places
I wonder who got the right answer between the two of us, then! The man I spoke to 'translated' the 380ish into (very) roughly 4.5 per place, so it couldn't have been a slip of a tongue on his part... Maybe he didn't have the latest information, although I hope he did, as otherwise we would be facing 6 candidates per place :(
Hmm I am also wondering - well let's hope you got the right answer, I am happy with the lower figure!
How the teacher worded to me was roughly 480, some of them will drop us for grammar so let's say 350 serious applicants :-). I am wondering if we both asked the same teacher!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Ahmedfamily wrote: Hmm I am also wondering - well let's hope you got the right answer, I am happy with the lower figure!
How the teacher worded to me was roughly 480, some of them will drop us for grammar so let's say 350 serious applicants :-). I am wondering if we both asked the same teacher!
Maybe! Was yours about 5'9'', possibly in his mid-40s (although I am not the best judge of age!) and with very little hair on his head? He was very approachable and did explain the same thing about a number of boys dropping out as they sit exams to 3 or more schools. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ahmedfamily

Post by Ahmedfamily »

PurpleDuck wrote:
Ahmedfamily wrote: Hmm I am also wondering - well let's hope you got the right answer, I am happy with the lower figure!
Maybe! Was yours about 5'9'', possibly in his mid-40s (although I am not the best judge of age!) and with very little hair on his head? He was very approachable and did explain the same thing about a number of boys dropping out as they sit exams to 3 or more schools. :)[/quote

No not the same teacher - this one was definitely over 6ft! Had a distinctive accent too. Well the conclusion we can come to is that competition is tough! Let's hope the wait to find out isn't too long!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Ahmedfamily wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:
Maybe! Was yours about 5'9'', possibly in his mid-40s (although I am not the best judge of age!) and with very little hair on his head? He was very approachable and did explain the same thing about a number of boys dropping out as they sit exams to 3 or more schools. :)[/quote

No not the same teacher - this one was definitely over 6ft! Had a distinctive accent too. Well the conclusion we can come to is that competition is tough! Let's hope the wait to find out isn't too long!
Definitely not the same. Yes, let's hope we will find out soon and all the best of luck to your DS - and you! :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Moormum

Post by Moormum »

We've just have a call from Whitgift. Our DS has been invited for the interview! Hurray!!!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Congratulations, Moormum! I think I will have no fingernails left by the end of today...
Ahmedfamily

Post by Ahmedfamily »

Best of luck to your son and you too purpleduck!

Congratulations Moormum! Well done to your son and best wishes for the interview.

I just want to know now!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Before you get downcast about the numbers, do bear in mind that the very generous bursary scheme inflates the number of candidates significantly. Of the 80 or so places at Trinity around 20-25 will be bursary places and you will find that the competition for the full fee places is significantly less. A member of staff would be unlikely to point this out without being specifically asked.

And sadly, you can end up waiting a long time (up to 3 weeks) to hear from Whitgift, but it doesn't reflect at all on your son's performance.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Ladymuck wrote: And sadly, you can end up waiting a long time (up to 3 weeks) to hear from Whitgift, but it doesn't reflect at all on your son's performance.
Ladymuck, thank you for pointing that out. I'm trying not to panic, but the wait is horrible...
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Does anyone know whether phone calls from Whitgift would be coming just in the morning, or until, say 5pm? Just wondering whether we can still hope for a phonecall today :?