Is it true thatmany applied bursary didn't get through indis

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
J50

Re: Is it true thatmany applied bursary didn't get through i

Post by J50 »

Catseye wrote: I think it's quite a good analogy but how far would you extend this analogy? Are free school meals, or in work benefits, or university bursaries also "a sense of entitlement"?
I think that's very different - those examples are just bringing people up to a decent level.

enigma wrote:My DS easily passed all the premier state grammars in Trafford that he took and also got bursary offer from one of the top Indies in the region so no brainer we sent him to the indies. My DS is enjoying his time at the Indies and committed to become a computer scientist and promised to himself that if he grow up successful which most of them do, he will pay back the school by contributing for the bursary fund to help other children like him.!
Why a no-brainer? What's wrong with the Grammars?

Yeah, sure he will pay back... that's a long way off and a promise that he's unlikely to keep.

enigma wrote:So this statement from a silver spoon winner of the lucky sperm lottery
You what? I got FSM, free bus pass when I was young!

shootmenow wrote:This girl was hunched in a coat that had clearly had previous owners and non-branded trainers that looked like they wouldn't last the winter. The other girls went to talk to the yr 7s who keep them relaxed and chatty but this girl stuck like glue to (what I assumed was) her grandmother.When I asked if anyone had questions about the school, she translated to the grandmother and then translated her response. She was very quiet but so articulate.
This was a girl for whom an NLCS education would be life changing. This was a girl who clearly needed 100% bursary.
Oh spare your tears! This was a girl who quite probably if she went to NLCS would not fit in, hate it, and end up leaving asap!!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

MCLC wrote:I love that story shootmenow. Really heart warming.
+1
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

J50 wrote: This was a girl who quite probably if she went to NLCS would not fit in, hate it, and end up leaving asap!!
There is no evidence that very bright children cannot adapt - I have no experience of bursary children "leaving asap"-they do exceptionally well.

The only real danger is they distance themselves form their roots and start thinking they are some how superior to the rest of their social class.

I sincerely hope you have not done the same-infact I am sure you have not :wink:
enigma

Post by enigma »

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion J50 and yours is not necessarily the same as mine. I'm really sorry if I've mocked your statement but I don't consider my son's bursary as a "sense of entitlement", we've just taken advantage of the wonderful opportunity provided by the charitable school by virtue of their intellectual abilities. Even in the world of high profile business there's always a practice of philanthropy. And oh! We've just received another bursary offer for my other 7 year old DS this morning, how good is that? God bless the school!

But honestly, I hate getting things for free if I can afford to buy them. I was a businessman who's gone broke, I used to give money to several charities but now I'm deeply down --- but not out! I always have the undying determination to rebound someday soon or even it'll take years, the world is my playing field. Good heavens the school is so generous enough to keep my boys on track while I'm still on my struggles against multiple stumbling blocks and detours. ;-)
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

J50-
That was seriously nasty.
And condescending of that girl and every other bursary recipient.
And a horrible underestimation of NLCS girls as a community.

Nobody sits their child for such a competitive school without a strong desire to see their child advance up the economic and social ladder.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

shootmenow wrote:This girl was hunched in a coat that had clearly had previous owners and non-branded trainers that looked like they wouldn't last the winter. The other girls went to talk to the yr 7s who keep them relaxed and chatty but this girl stuck like glue to (what I assumed was) her grandmother.When I asked if anyone had questions about the school, she translated to the grandmother and then translated her response. She was very quiet but so articulate.
This was a girl for whom an NLCS education would be life changing. This was a girl who clearly needed 100% bursary...

...I did remember this girl.
She got in.
I actually cried when I spotted her in the school this past autumn.
Well done to her.

We met a girl at the City offer day who wore the uniform of her large inner city primary, where half the kids receive the pupil premium. She was a lovely girl. Her family was with her, equally friendly people, just clearly not popping off the trading desk for an hour or two.

They told us on the CLSG morning for offer holders that they had already accepted the place. That was about a week before National Allocation Day and they weren't holding out to see what state school might be offered, so I'm sure she had a full bursary. I liked her and was delighted for her. I think of her often and can still remember her name and would recognise them again. She'll be expected to partipate fully in the life of the school and I'm sure it will be mutually beneficial. That's what bursaries should enable...
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I am with J50 re bursaries, with some exceptions like for sports, arts and music.

Bye the way, J50, I do like DB9s. Also like to have a big house with garage to go with it. But alas, the car dealers don't run bursary schemes. :lol: :lol:

I know parents who apply for bursaries (one got it for three of her children and applying for forth one this year), but have been paying years on for private tutors, music lessons, swimming, sports coaches and holidays. She would not send her children even to Tiffins. Too much competition for places there and poor souls would not be able to cope. :(

As Amber pointed out, J50's views on bursaries make us think.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"...I am with J50 re bursaries, with some exceptions like sports, arts and music..."

This bit doesn't make sense to me. Bursaries are awarded to people who are deemed unable to afford the fees, not against particular subjects. Scholarships are awarded against particular areas in the curriculum.

Just because the person you know is misusing the system (and I say that with the caveat that no-one really knows anyone else's true financial situation) doesn't mean that the whole system should be damned...one bad apple and all that.

If a bursary helps just one person from a lower income family redress the balance, then I see no issue with it in the same way I see no issue in Grammar Schools offering Pupil Premium places.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

My belief is one should try to live within own's means. Social security net is just for basic needs. Gradually our benefit system has made some think they are entitled to any thing, even if they can't afford it. Some one pays for it.

If one can't afford Rolls Royce, Ford fiesta or even the big Red bus will do. Why go begging (even consider entitled for it)? :roll: :roll:

Indies are businesses; these should run like a business and be taxed as any other business.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Bursaries are nothing to do with the social security net - and it is wrong to try and use the two to make a point. Bursars look at family income and in most cases expect both parents to be working (if it is a two parent family) unless there is a very good reason why not.

The benefit system has its' faults, yes, but is easily criticised by people who fall into the "have" section of society...."SOME" may feel they are entitled...some - not all - not many. But this isn't about the benefit system - this is about independent schools - which are businesses and are canny enough to milk all the benefits of being a registered Charity. For that, which brings them huge tax benefits and income, they are required to offer support to a VERY small number of applicants.

Try and think how you would feel in their shoes - really think - don't just pay lip service to it. Whilst I would always encourage my children to work hard and live within their means (we don't even have a credit card because even if you pay it off monthly, it is still paying for something when you don't have the means to pay at that point), I am very glad that there are philanthropic people and policies in place to help if things go wrong.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now