Alleyn's interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
boardfleet

Re: Alleyn's interviews

Post by boardfleet »

Does anyone know how many scholarship candidates there are? Because clearly they're in already -which makes the odds worse for the rest of us?
Nikita76

Post by Nikita76 »

top 30 kids get a scholarship interview, but no idea how many scholarships are awarded
boardfleet

Post by boardfleet »

But all 30 of those kids are in aren't they, so there are 270 kids applying for the remaining 60 places.

If it really is a level playing field after exams and current school's feedback, then I'm just really puzzled as to how a general 20 minute chat can help them whittle it down from 270? Even allowing for rejections, surely they won't offer more than half of them a place. Seems to be a waste of a lot of Saturdays - and an unfair building up of people's expectations.
Nikita76

Post by Nikita76 »

I suppose in reality, some of those 30 kids will chose other schools... I don't know any kid from our school that didn't apply to at least 3 places. And then there are GS as well
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The majority of the 300 interviewed will have sat for multiple schools including JAGS/DC. The offer rate for schools in London is usually still 2:1 or great. So of the 300, at least 180 may get offers, and another 60 waitlisted. It is the hardest part for the schools, trying to judge where they fall in the popularity contest for any given cohort.
boardfleet

Post by boardfleet »

Thanks for the feedback. I know the schools will over offer but everyone I speak to seems to have Alleyns as their number one choice so I didn't really think they would over offer by that margin.

More than half the kids interviewed from our school last year were rejected - so I guess I was thinking along those lines.

But I guess all will come clear in the fullness of time anyway...
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

We're at another school, but our head always says that 15 minutes with an 11yo can go really quickly or really slowly. He does believe that they can tell a lot about a child's personality in the time that they have with them.
Nikita76

Post by Nikita76 »

Well, we are waiting to hear from Kings... that is our first choice, so you know at least one of these 300 kids isn't dead set on Alleyn's :)

it is our second choice however...
boardfleet

Post by boardfleet »

I'm not even sure why I'm so bothered - it's not our first choice either :lol: - I'm just puzzled as to why they need to interview 300 when DC said they only interviewed 150?
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

Our DS has an interview on Saturday. Is anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone know what the figures are for this year - how many applied, how many interviews, how many offers etc?