City of London Boys School 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MCLC

City of London Boys School 11+

Post by MCLC »

DS has been invited for interview at City. Anyone else? Anyone have any advice or no how many they generally invite?

Thanks!
ItsNearlyOver

Re: City of London Boys School 11+

Post by ItsNearlyOver »

We have an interview too. No idea of how many they invite but they do over offer by a lot as most boys will have applied to Westminster/St Pauls/Latymer. I believe they said this to the boys on the day of the exam ("most here have applied to Westminster"). They have a high rejection rate as a result. If you don't make it to interview they tell you your rank in exam but not if you are rejected after interview. I suppose to be called for interview you would have to come in the top 200 out of 550? Anyone else have figures?
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

I assumed 200 but not sure?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Boys from all over the home counties apply to City so they are competing against local private schools and not just the London ones. In Herts boys will be considering St Albans and Habs and Merchant Taylors.

It would be interesting to know if their rejection is indeed higher because of the commute. DG
ItsNearlyOver

Post by ItsNearlyOver »

Everyone l know who has applied to Westminster has also applied to City - they seem to go hand in hand. Also, there is a large body of boys who are Westminster standard who don't want the Saturday school. I'm told that outside of Westminster & St Pauls that City & Latymer Upper are statically the hardest schools to get into. There does not seem to be any information on how many City are calling to interview for the 11+.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

And how many boys are you talking about that you know that have applied for both? There is obviously a percentage of boys who apply for both but there are more who do not.

I don't agree that City is much harder to get an interview at than other schools. I know of boys who got a City interview who did not get interviews at other schools. I know of boys who got City and Westminster but chose Habs. Everyone is working with different criteria. DG
ItsNearlyOver

Post by ItsNearlyOver »

Well it was City (don't know who) who said to the boys after the exam that most there would have applied to the others mentioned & my own info is from our prep. Is that okay ?

I referenced statistics (many people will have different experiences of course) 700 (according to the rejection letters) applied for 60 places. Would imagine that's one of the highest ratios. But of course it might not be. Best of luck MCLC.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thank you ItsNearlyOver - same to you and thank you for the information regarding applications and number of places available.

I do hope it's true what they say about them over offering!
branmoment

Post by branmoment »

Daogroupie wrote:And how many boys are you talking about that you know that have applied for both? There is obviously a percentage of boys who apply for both but there are more who do not.

I don't agree that City is much harder to get an interview at than other schools. I know of boys who got a City interview who did not get interviews at other schools. I know of boys who got City and Westminster but chose Habs. Everyone is working with different criteria. DG
Yes the same is true for boys who ultimately chose MTS
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Which school is MTS? I always thought Westminster was the one that was extremely difficult to get into.