CLSG results

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dadofmytwo

Re: CLSG results

Post by Dadofmytwo »

shootmenow wrote:Beware of 'extras' on CLSG bills. Our NLCS fees were about £400 cheaper per term than CLSG.
Shootmeknow please explain how you have arrived at the above figure enabling you to make this comment. From the fees listed on the respective websites CLSG termly fees are over £1100 cheaper than NLCS.

DD is a current year 7. I agree that it is important for prospective parents to know that there are extras such as lunch and trips to museums etc. However, the cost of day trips is reasonable in my opinion and the extras do not come anywhere near makinng up the difference that would be paid at another indie such as NLCS.

Skiing and end of year school trips can be expensive but it is my understanding that pretty much every indie charges for these.

Many parents pick CLSG over other academic schools because the fees have traditionally been far more reasonable. It is part of the ethos of CLSG that it brings together a socioeconomically and culturally diverse cohort of girls. The significant amount of funding for burseries that the Corporation of London has at its disposal plays a big part in maintaining this diversity. The school highlights the facts that about 25% of girls receive some fee assistance.

Skiing and foreign trips as part of the curriculum can be expensive but these are not compulsory. The diversity at CLSG means that a DD is unlikely to be the only one left out if she didn't go on a particular trip. I think that is really important for many families.

Like HCB I am concerned about any significant rise in the fees. I hope this will not be a year-on-year occurrence. The fees are usually uplifted annually at every indie and practically all the London ones start at a higher baseline than CLSG (or CLSB).

For anyone considering CLSG or struggling with a choice between several academic indies, I can confirm that it is a fantastic school. The girls are bright and very independent from early on. Homework is plentiful and they seem to move at a fast pace but the girls seem to have fun and enjoy the myriad of clubs and extra curricular activities on offer as well.

Congratulations to all the DDs that are holding offers!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

I'm trying to find my file with old CLSG school bills. Will respond with specifics when I've dug it out.
I can say that the NLCS fees were all up front while CLSG had a lot of 'if you wish your daughter to participate, tick here and £x will be added to your bill'. There were A LOT of extras. I had 3 DCs in 3 schools. NLCS was the cheapest.
CLSG pays a huge sum in rates as a central London institution. NLCS's location means that many things are cheaper for them- building projects and maintenance and rates being the biggest.
hamhamintour

Post by hamhamintour »

You also have to factor in that Shootmenow has a bit of an axe to grind with clsg and clsg can do nothing right in her eyes. Be aware that her direct knowledge of the school is confined to the preps...
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The fees st NLCS are very high, no doubt. They are already 18,400 and then there's lunch and trips on top of that.
adelante

Post by adelante »

Is there a decent rule of thumb to think of the extras? In order of magnitude, are they worth an extra term of fees, half a term of fees, or something else that one can use to try and size the total budget?
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

I'd guess that lunch, a few trips, and a few extras would be about another £2,000/year.
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

adelante wrote: On point 1, they are very explicit in the letter that offers will be dealt on a first come first served (but interestingly, the clock only starts on March 2nd, which I though was very considerate of people awaiting state school offer)
They said the same thing last year. However, the "clock" started ticking a few days early, when they had already received more acceptances than they had expected. They sent out a panicky first past the post email to prospective parents and those who missed this email or were slow off the mark missed out.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now