Latymer Upper

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bazelle

Re: Latymer Upper

Post by Bazelle »

I can only agree with previous post. The absence of girls make the older boys more considerate and inclusive of younger boys, a thing that disappears when there are girls around. DS is having a ball.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bazelle wrote:The absence of girls make the older boys more considerate and inclusive of younger boys, a thing that disappears when there are girls around.
Is this an 'indie' thing? With a few individual exceptions, it hasn't been our experience of local grammar schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

ToadMum wrote:
Bazelle wrote:The absence of girls make the older boys more considerate and inclusive of younger boys, a thing that disappears when there are girls around.
Is this an 'indie' thing? With a few individual exceptions, it hasn't been our experience of local grammar schools.
Not in my experience ToadMum, never seen that.
mad?
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Maybe it is a "City" thing, you are right, I don't think it would be a Hampton thing for example.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

When we started looking and asking around schools, the consensus seemed that girls have "a calming effect on boys". But City sounds like it benefits from the other way around then. There certainly were nice boys there. We really don't have all the answers, do we. And what I think this thread shows is that you can't go wrong, whatever school you choose, because there are happy children and parents at both...
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

DS didn't get an offer from Latymer, quite surprising given that he he got an offer from super selective Westminster Under... I am really puzzled ... As I presume school report was good ( he is a top pupil at his independent primary), exam result should have been at leat decent ( for Westminster he had to sit IESB and and 11 plus exam), and he was satisfied with an interview: he is extremely well read and eloquent.... Any thoughts are welcome!
ItsNearlyOver

Post by ItsNearlyOver »

Weird question that has dropped into my mind. Do City boys have to shower after PE ? Are the showers communal? I have a dread of boys shower rooms or are they a thing of the past? How about Latymer?
mad?

Post by mad? »

ItsNearlyOver wrote:Weird question that has dropped into my mind. Do City boys have to shower after PE ? Are the showers communal? I have a dread of boys shower rooms or are they a thing of the past? How about Latymer?
Not sure about City but LU definitely has them, and I would imagine boys are encouraged to use them (trust me, once DS is over 12 you will MUCH prefer this), not sure if they are communal though...
mad?
ItsNearlyOver

Post by ItsNearlyOver »

Surely no school has communal showers anymore? Surely!
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

DS y7 at City said they do not shower after PE, swimming or games, and even looked at me as if this would be a very weird thing to do indeed!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now