Latymer Upper

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MCLC

Re: Latymer Upper

Post by MCLC »

Who was your interview with? My DS said the two people didn't introduce themselves, so he doesn't know names.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Likewise, there were two teachers but he didn't know their names. Or at least couldn't remember them!
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

It's interesting as of the three interviews my DS did this one seemed the most cryptic. He said the two people were very friendly but gave nothing away when asking him questions, just nodded and made brief notes. At another interview he was given direct feedback and another he saw boxes being ticked.
mad?

Post by mad? »

ItsNearlyOver wrote:Lloydcole - we are also equal distance to both and l also worry about Latymer being "too cool" but l don't know where l'm getting that vibe from. I haven't seen anything much other than lots of blonde hair & short skirts but even then it's because l'm looking for it? A quick look at the school visiting speakers ; City - journalists, MPs, Economists, LU - well known actors and authors. Is that a fair "feel" for how they lean? How is the pastoral care at City? Worry it's a tough place - again not based on anything much. The austere building? All boys? Lots of male teachers? Not sure.
Sorry to butt in, I have girls so can't help hugely but in case there are others viewing this thread with different criteria I would say that the actors/authors thing is not correct. LU has several visit, sometimes alumni or parents, but I would say it probably has more of the journalist/MP/Economist (Likewise often through the allumni) type present/speak on a regular basis, plus a fair smattering of scientists. It has just occurred to me that this probably isn't on their website as it is a pretty regular thing whereas actors cutting ribbons etc is rarer and perhaps therefore higher profile? I don't know.

As for the 'cool kids'I think that maybe when you are looking for DSs girls appear cool? LU does have its fair share, but IME so does every West London school, they are certainly a very small minority and quickly find each other (in fact they are probably already altogether at a prep somewhere :wink: ) leaving the rest of the population alone. Not sure about City in this regards as boys and too far away.

Anyway, lovely choice to have. If I lived equidistant, and was happy with a single sex education (do think about this) I'd go for City, it's a great school and you can still have a family holiday!
mad?
mad?

Re: Latymer Upper or City of London (Boys) WWYD?

Post by mad? »

Mods, this discussion seems to have moved onto the general LU thread, would it be possible to merge them?

Thanks - the threads have been merged - Moderator
mad?
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

We had the choice between City and LU and chose LU. A big factor for us was that it was coed and we wanted DS to work with and alongside girls, learn with them and even compete with them - the world out there is like that! We also found City - please no offence, this is just a purely personal impression - very humourless. Our visit was serious, the whole atmosphere was serious and they kept going on about jobs in the City, connections with the City, law degrees, etc. (I totally believe there is a whole range of careers and destinations among City boys, they just didn't mention them).
We, like others, are very happy with LU. You can be cool, and you can be nerdy. You can be sporty and you can be booky. You can be arty. In fact, you can be anything and you will still find your place! Huge range of personalities. Very lively school which encourages extra curriculars to no end. And there is a lot of humour and wit. The relationships between students and teachers seem to be a perfect balance between formal and relaxed and the students feel they can speak their minds at any time.
Good luck with your choice.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thanks for your feedback BusyQueenBee, if we are lucky enough to be offered a place at City I'll definitely chew over what you've said.
ItsNearlyOver

Post by ItsNearlyOver »

I hadn't thought of that before Queenbee, they are quite glum l suppose. Spotted a very cross teacher while l was waiting for the interview and was thinking "you'd think he's at least pretend to be friendly in front of prospective parents". City do seem to take themselves quite seriously. The waiting room had the atmosphere of a funeral. Hmm. I'm getting more confused now. Anyone else ?
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

This thread is good!
Lloydcole

Post by Lloydcole »

ItsNearlyOver-apologies for my tardy response to your questions ( we are busy weighing up the pros and cons of City girls v Godolphin).
DS's Science, English, Geography, French and RE teachers are female. Furthermore, I think it's fantastic for the boys to see a female heading the school. She is very "present" and involved. Ds, together with some of his friends, had a very "posh" ( his words) lunch in her office last week during which she asked the boys all about themselves and their hobbies/likes/dislikes and just chatted to them. Ds was blown away by her knowledge of football ( amongst other things) and sense of humour; he thoroughly enjoyed himself. Apparently, she does this every week in order to get to know each one of the first form boys.
Ds is happy and settled and says there is no bullying that he is aware of. All his encounters with the older boys have been very positive and there is no expectation amongst the lower year boys that the year 9 and 10 boys will nick their ball or shove them off the football pitch at will ( something that his friends who are at LU constantly complain about).
In the first few days at the beginning of the school year, prefects were dotted about on the route from Blackfriers tube to the school and St Pauls tube to the school in order to ensure that no one got lost. This reflects the general relationship between the lower and upper years.
I hear what the other poster said about the "serious" atmosphere. This was one of our concerns before joining the school. However, there is plenty of humour both in and out of the classroom and lots of "banter" between the boys and also their teachers. I recently went to lunch at the school ( on certain Friday's during the school year parents of boys in year 6,7 and 8 are invited to the school in order to experience the lunch and canteen atmosphere). I, along with the other parents I was sitting with, were surprised that the boys were not more "boisterous" during lunch. That's not to say the atmospher was somber or glum-just rather calm, friendly and a bit"grown up".
I'm not sure why I found the vibe at LU a bit "cool"-maybe it was because some of the sixth formers we spoke to were rather pretentious.
There's no denying that LU just doesn't have the social and ethnic mix of City, and this is very important to us as a family.
At the end of the day, both are great schools. For us, we felt that Ds would probably flourish at both, but that City was gentler and a bit less pretentious.