Kings College School or St Pauls V/S QE Boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Womblemania

Re: Kings College School or St Pauls V/S QE Boys

Post by Womblemania »

DAO - if you read what I said carefully you'll have seen that we did look at the girls grammars and my conclusions were drawn from that insight. We also know lots of boys at grammars so I do think I have some insight. The OP asked why pay for KCS or SPS and I've tried to give an honest answer about our thought process.

Everyone in entitled to their opinion and I've shared mine to help the OP. We're not the kind of family for whom the financial outlay of fees doesn't involve some sacrifice but we've made a decision that it is a good investment for our family. Others will come to different conclusions and that's fine but please don't shoot me down for offering up exactly what the OP asked for.
Pound.Pence

Post by Pound.Pence »

Thank you all for your responses and also the pvt messages. I am grateful that you all have taken an effort to write and some even few paragraphs. This was my first stint at Social Media and boy has it been a positive one. You guys are wonderful.

I have also combed the posts of most respondents where there have been similar topics of discussion and you have contributed to them. I discovered a few very helpful links as well to the Sunday Times report, Sutton report, Oxbridge research brief and few articles.

Some key points I am left with are –
1. QE does not have an old boys club. The network reliance is on the current crop. However, they will meet up with the top students of other schools at Oxbridge and leading Universities.
2. At an Oxbridge selection –a child from SPS, KCS and QE will have an equal shot and will be selected on merit than the name of the school.
3. A salient qs has been raised on the importance of the journey as much as the destination. But I will urge to get a response to the impact a child may have if found in the poor families’ corner of a SPS/KCS.
4. At no point in time have we ever made our children feel that they have to repay us for the investment we have/will incur on their education or them making it to Oxbridge as that is the best we can provide as parents.
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

Another point you may want to consider for KCS is that they have changed the entry system for this year, the 11+ entry has been doubled and the boys go straight into the senior school and do not join KCJS. They will not meet the KCJS boys until they start in Y9 with all the other prep school boys. This means that 3 different groups of boys now have to be merged at 13+, I would be concerned about how this will work and I wouldn't want my DS to be a guinea pig. I would be vary wary of this system until it has been running for a while and is proven to work or has been changed because it didn't work!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now