Any feedback about John Lyon, St.James or Kew House Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hope4chance

Any feedback about John Lyon, St.James or Kew House Schools

Post by Hope4chance »

Hi Dears..
I am stuck in the middle of (John Lyon, St.James or Kew House) we have got offers from those school for our Ds, but unfortunately there are no much feedbacks or reviews about the schools to make our mind !! Really need help.
mad?

Re: Any feedback about John Lyon, St.James or Kew House Scho

Post by mad? »

Well those schools are huge distances and travel times from each other so my view would be to go for ease of transport, assuming at least one is easy for you to get to?
Other than that, Kew House will I think have its first full house so to speak this year. Difficult to judge when it is so new and I have no contacts there but knowing the site am amazed they have managed to fit a school on it.
St James beautiful grounds but you need to be comfortable with this http://www.stjamesschools.co.uk/seniorb ... hilosophy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Lyon, friends' kids very happy there, very diverse, benefits from its association with Harrow.
HTH. Good luck.
mad?
Hope4chance

Post by Hope4chance »

Thanks a lot mad?,
Your feedbacks were really helpful. It is true! Distance matter is an issue, in this case between Kew House and John Lyon is the decision.. Kew has no history, however, it is really nice school and modern! But no history results!
John Lyon is the nearest for our mind so far, unless we hear something more convincing :)
Thanks again dear..
And I will be happy to hear more from others.
Regards and best of luck for all.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

They're still miles apart.

Is your son sporty?

Also, how exactly would your son travel to each? Do you live near a train station? What about ad hoc pick up/drop off / concerts and parent evening events?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Hope4chance

Post by Hope4chance »

Well, we are in the middle between JLS and Kew.. But St James is the double distance . However, JL has buses drop students near our house.
My Ds is academic but not to the top level, sort of sporty.. yes! and he is drama and art enthusiastic. :)
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hope4chance wrote:Well, we are in the middle between JLS and Kew.. But St James is the double distance . However, JL has buses drop students near our house.
My Ds is academic but not to the top level, sort of sporty.. yes! and he is drama and art enthusiastic. :)
JL then. If you are on a straight line are between the two Kew will be harder to get to and if there is a bus then doesn't that settle it?
mad?
Hope4chance

Post by Hope4chance »

Yes Mad? Absolutely right .. :)
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

I don't know about St James, we did apply to JL but not Kew even if it was the closest, because it was really new and expensive with no facilities so to speak. We really liked JL, the admission staff was really lovely, the buildings and facilities and the site were amazing. You basically have a choice between a tried and tested solid school and a new school that is aiming high but we don't know yet what it is capable of. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these 2 schools. What does DS want?
Hope4chance

Post by Hope4chance »

Thanks a lot Bazelle,
Yes sure, I understand what you mean! I liked your expression of "tested solid school".. I have figured out this in their website as they emphasised on "To treat every boy as an individual", I could not feel this passion at other schools websites!!
.... My Ds loves the school as well ! :)

Thanks again and good luck for your Ds..
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Is there a school that doesn't "treat every student as an individual" or some other similar claim?? If you like them both, choose the one which is easier to get to!
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now