Habs Vs St Albans

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JND

Habs Vs St Albans

Post by JND »

Hi Everyone I am very pleased that my DS got offeres from Habs and St Albans School .Now I am in middle of which offer to accept and which to decline.St Albans is the nearest one and We don't need to pay for the coach as will get free public transport.On the otherhand We are thinking of why we should leave habs ... Would appreciate if you can give some advices to sort out this problem .....
Daogroupie

Re: Habs Vs St Albans

Post by Daogroupie »

You have already turned down St Albans once by choosing to use the Habs prep school instead of the St Albans one even though you live closer to St Albans.

So why did you apply for St Albans when you already had a guaranteed places as you are at Habs prep?

Habs is a more academic school with a much broader reach. St Albans is a local school where over 50% of the girls are pushed into double science instead of triple science even though it is 100% selective and music only operates for two terms a year and you can't be in band and orchestra.

I would choose Habs on many different counts. I find it a lot more diverse in many different ways. DG
lotsakids

Post by lotsakids »

Probably unlikely that the OP will find your rant (once again) against the High School useful as they are clearly asking about St Albans (Boys) School.
I don't have any experience of Habs as it is too far for us to have considered for our DS, who is very happy at St Albans School. In my opinion, it is an excellent school for boys with a wide range of interests - mine is not sporty, but loves all the maths, music and CCF at the school.

I also think the High School is a great school, no longer 'dominated by the Prep' as there are only around 20 in the current Y7, music is available to enjoy at all levels and plenty of the girls choose all 3 sciences, and even those that don't are able to take science A levels without any noticeable problems. Just in case you were interested!
examprepper

Post by examprepper »

My DS is also at St Albans School. We are only a couple of terms in, but he has settled well, made a group of friends etc. The work is challenging but not too much, he has got involved in music (not hugely sporty). He is sure it was the right choice for him.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So 28 of the 48 girls from Wheathampstead chose to go elsewhere rather than current Y7? That would be extraordinary if it was the case and would have meant that there would have been far more places available than normal.

I wasn't talking about the levels of music but the fact that music closes down at Easter and does not return until September.

Many girls are not given the choice to do Triple Science, 50% in fact.

In terms of Habs boys versus St Albans boys the same local argument applies. There are many like you who did not consider other options. I know 15 boys who just got an offer from St Albans but also got other offers such as Habs, MT. John Lyon, City and waiting for Westminster.

Both of the St Albans schools are great schools as I have said elsewhere on the forum but there are other schools that offer more if there is not a distance problem.

Students I know in preps in the Harrow area tell me that St Albans is the back up option for Habs and MT and in other preps such as Stormont and Manor Lodge and Radlett prep i the High school is the back up option to NLCS, City and Habs.

Are any of these other schools worth the journey if you are very local to St Albans? No. In my opinion the journey to school should be the number one consideration. I know students in every year in both schools who are all very happy with the schools and I have recommended both schools to many parents. But if distance is not an issue there are reasons to consider all options carefully. DG
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Both are great schools (mine attends StA)

However if cost is your deciding factor chose StA. (£843 per annum cheaper & no bus fees.)

If cost not a deciding factor - which school does your son prefer? Or if he doesn't know, which school do you think is best suited to him? Each has its own unique character, atmosphere and ethos which you no dealt experienced when visiting both.
JND

Post by JND »

Thanks Everyone
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now