Bancroft vs Forest vs Ilford County High

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
israrliaqat

Bancroft vs Forest vs Ilford County High

Post by israrliaqat »

Hi all,

This is a genuine request for help in making a decision for my DC. He has been offered a place at Bancroft, Forest with 50% scholarship and very likely to get an offer from Ilford County High. We have been living abroad for the past 10 years so the only feel for the schools I have is from league tables or this forum. I would love to say money is no object but unfortunately it is! I would really appreciate feedback of any of your experiences regarding any of these schools. TIA
CPM1771

Re: Bancroft vs Forest vs Ilford County High

Post by CPM1771 »

You really need to just go to see the schools and see which one you think your DS will be happiest with. If you have not visited Ilford you really should look round before turning down a 50% scholarship at Forest. Whilst I would definitely say ignore the scholarship if finance is not a worry, the reality is that it is for most of us. Bancroft's is an exceptional school, but balanced against a 50% scholarship at Forest I would go with the Forest option. We had the same choice to make last year, but without the scholarship issue. If there had been a scholarship then I am sure we would have chosen Forest. I know a lot of boys who are very happy there and have no reason to think you wouldn't feel the same.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

I agree with CPM1771 that you should really visit the schools if possible.

We had a similar choice to make five years ago for my son (including the 50% scholarship at Forest). DS also had an offer from Chigwell. An additional factor for us is that Forest is the easiest travelwise. We were also keen that he should have plenty of involvement in music.

• Put rather simplistically, our judgment was this:
• Ilford County High seemed to get great results in Maths and Sciences, but not so much in humanities. Given that they take the creme de la creme, this suggested to me that their priorities are with Maths/Science. I felt that DS would get a richer experience elsewhere.
• Bancroft's is excellent, but has a reputation for being a hothouse. That said, I know parents who are very happy with it.
• Chigwell is also excellent and has a nice friendly small-community feel, but travel was awkward. MY DD attended sixth form there and had a good experience.
• Forest is nearby and has a fabulous extra-curricular offering. We all really liked the feel of the place - and 50% off fees is a huge incentive!

We chose Forest and DS is very happy there. He is also very busy and involved with the music department, just as we had hoped. He will be staying on for sixth form; we didnt' even look elsewhere.

PS: Feel free to PM me with specific questions.
israrliaqat

Post by israrliaqat »

Thanks CPM1771 and muffinmonster. I may well take you up on that offer MuffinMonster, thankyou!
City Dad

Post by City Dad »

I am glad that muffinmonster and CPM 1771 has given israrliaqat valuable information about Bancroft vs Forest vs Ilford County High.

Can you confirm to israrliaqat that Forest has a Bring Your Own Device policy? This was introduced last year and this is still continuing? I think israrliaqat needs to buy one at Year 7?
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Yes, City Dad, Forest now has a Bring your Own Device policy, and pupils need to bring an internet-enabled tablet or device with a physical keyboard to class with them. Ths has been the first year of it and from what I've heard it seems well-thought out and embedded in the teaching.
City Dad

Post by City Dad »

Thanks muffinmonster for the confirmation.
israrliaqat

Post by israrliaqat »

Thanks City Dad. That's good to know.

And thank you once again CPM1771 and muffin monster. I was a bit rushed the other day when I read your posts. Have been going over your advice and it has really helped!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now