SPGS - Reality of wealthy -v- not so wealthy families

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: SPGS - Reality of wealthy -v- not so wealthy families

Post by Daogroupie »

Our local private school does a ski trip to New York. I don't see any state schools offering that. The wonderful trips at private schools are usually in the list of reasons for shelling out for private schools I think they put a great deal of pressure on parents if all a student's friends are going and are something to consider when choosing a school. DG
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

The school's financial statements are worth a read, particularly the financial review section. The fees have been going up by 7% year on year. We really liked SPGS, but on balance, it didn't make sense for us to build their war chest at the expense of ours.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Daogroupie wrote:Our local private school does a ski trip to New York. I don't see any state schools offering that. The wonderful trips at private schools are usually in the list of reasons for shelling out for private schools I think they put a great deal of pressure on parents if all a student's friends are going and are something to consider when choosing a school. DG
I'm sure there are some indies doing that. But ours most definitely doesn't. On balance, the trips at the GS we have a son at are FAR more expensive and extensive, like twice as much ion our case!
State does definitely not mean cheaper.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I can think of two grammar schools that do ski trips, although they have gone to places in Europe.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I know of at least two secondary moderns taking ski trips to USA.

Our grammar has rugby tours to South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, geography trips to Iceland, etc etc. Don't really like it, but we chose the school and our chap just knows he probably won't be able to fdo the expensive ones. And thats not because we have a boy at Indie. Different pots, like dinner stomach and pudding stomach!!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Yamin151 wrote:State does definitely not mean cheaper.
Our state primary's 5 day residential trip at ca. £550 comes to mind... :shock:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Burnham grammar - not in a particularly affluent area has trips to NZ, Malaysia, skiing in the US, Iceland, New York, and goodness knows where else. Ridiculous in my opinion!
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote:Is any surprise that state school students tend to do better at university as they are much more self sufficent by the time they get there? DG
Unless of course they have been working with it their parents...
mad?
ams77

Post by ams77 »

Daogroupie wrote: Is any surprise that state school students tend to do better at university as they are much more self sufficent by the time they get there? DG
I might be starting new debate here but what is the basis of this statement? The reason I am asking is because if you a take a look at league tables, independents outperform state schools when it comes to getting into Oxbridge and Russel Group, hence asking.
Amber

Post by Amber »

ams77 wrote:
Daogroupie wrote: Is any surprise that state school students tend to do better at university as they are much more self sufficent by the time they get there? DG
I might be starting new debate here but what is the basis of this statement? The reason I am asking is because if you a take a look at league tables, independents outperform state schools when it comes to getting into Oxbridge and Russel Group, hence asking.
DAO means that once they get to university they tend to do better. It is well known that independent schools are very good at getting children into Oxbridge - that is what many parents pay for in the (mistaken imho) belief that this is the mark of a Good Education. In fact it is the main reason why some parents choose particular schools, very sadly.

Once they get to university however, state school students tend to do better than independent school ones with the same grades. There have been several reports to this effect. Here is a link to the coverage of one such: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... shows.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Bottom line:
"In both Russell and non-Russell Group universities, students from independent schools were less likely to achieve either a first class degree or at least an upper second class degree than students from comprehensive schools with similar prior attainment." (Dr Vidal Rodeiro, from Cambridge Assessment)
I notice that this thread began about one school and has morphed into being about another - with a gender change in the middle. I wonder if that was intended or if the OP is now feeling miffed at the morph, as it were.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now