Independent school query

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Independent school query

Post by Amber »

enigma wrote:THIS IS A WRONG NOTION
Whether or not you agree with what someone has said, there is no need to shout. It doesn't feel very nice to be on the receiving end of a post which starts this way, ok? You might not like what I say but I am a person too. :)
The use of CAPITAL LETTERS on internet forums is considered to be shouting. Please use sentence case in both thread titles and posts. (Forum Rules, number 6)
SraCastafiore

Post by SraCastafiore »

In terms of needs-blind admission, there are several high schools in the US which offer this and, as a result, they can boast student populations where almost half are on some kind of bursary, and minority students comprise half of the pupils in attendance.

However, they have slush funds of over $billion. Alumnae generosity is a cultural norm in the US and not something which is as prevalent here in the UK. Whilst I admire school having an aim to go needs-blind, to make it a reality would require huge effort and enthusiasm.

I don't know how bursaries are funded here in the the private schools, but imagine they are a combination of donations and parent fundraising (not hidden in tuition, but overt fundraising - this I have experienced). Bursary students are not identified, and even if they are known, they are not treated any differently from other students as all students have had to work to get into the school.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Amber wrote:Whether or not you agree with what someone has said, there is no need to shout. It doesn't feel very nice to be on the receiving end of a post which starts this way, ok? You might not like what I say but I am a person too. :)
The use of CAPITAL LETTERS on internet forums is considered to be shouting. Please use sentence case in both thread titles and posts. (Forum Rules, number 6)
My use of capital letters didn't mean to "shout" nor offend anyone but to give more emphasis on the issue. Shouting I believe comes with an interjection (!). I've no idea about the specific forum rules on capital letters nevertheless I do apologize for using it.

Many fee-paying parents really think that they were the one paying for the bursary pupils. Whilst it maybe true at some extents but it is also worth noting that far bigger part of the pot/fund came from other entities i.e. alumni, philanthropists, businesses and even government and non-government bodies. The bursary is the old "academic" scholarship where anyone can be a recipient as long as they've reached the high academic level required for scholarship awards. Back in the days, even a son of a millionaire can be a scholar but obviously it wasn't a wise use of money so the bursary scheme was created. A bursary is not for everyone... the pupil must be among the top performers in the overall tests including interviews to be offered a bursary place that's why some pupils who applied for bursary places but fell short of the required academic results or quota were only offered a school place but not a bursary place. To make wise use of the fund, bursary pupils' parents are also means-tested.
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
mad?

Post by mad? »

enigma wrote: A bursary is not for everyone... the pupil must be among the top performers in the overall tests including interviews to be offered a bursary place that's why some pupils who applied for bursary places but fell short of the required academic results or quota were only offered a school place but not a bursary place. To make wise use of the fund, bursary pupils' parents are also means-tested.
But the OP is asking about Needs blind, not any old bursary system. Schools in which offers are made irrespective of financial need where you cannot fall short of a bursary academically, unless one falls short of an offer altogether. In these instances, not that it matters, one does not need to be a top performer. Needless to say one can fall financially short of a bursary :?
mad?
enigma

Post by enigma »

mad? wrote: But the OP is asking about Needs blind, not any old bursary system. Schools in which offers are made irrespective of financial need where you cannot fall short of a bursary academically, unless one falls short of an offer altogether. In these instances, not that it matters, one does not need to be a top performer. Needless to say one can fall financially short of a bursary :?
Sorry Mad? but I was into bursary issue in relation to Amber's post. Certainly, most Indies operate on needs-blind method in making their decision of offering a place; even if you're a son of wealthy industrialist but fell short of the required academic level then you won't be offered a place, in the same way if you pass but can't afford the fees, there's a bursary available for the right pupil.
With respect to bursary, different schools have different criteria. In my DS school, bursary award is based on parent's affordability and the pupil's performance on the entrance test.
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now