independent offers and timeframe to accept

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
schoolrun

Re: independent offers and timeframe to accept

Post by schoolrun »

Thank you for solid advice, purple duck...Even though, reading it all, it's such common sense, I'm surprised I hadn't considered all these points.

I have registered her for two schools so far - CLC and CLSG. I'll pause to check New Hall, Brentwood and Sevenoaks exam dates before doing anything further. I've attended open days for clsg and new hall last year, I'm attending Sevenoaks open day this Saturday and DD has an early assessment with CLC next month. (all for 2017 entry).

These five, plus 3x grammar 11+ exams (Essex, Chelmsford county and Medway) should be DD's capacity for exams/school hunting. She generally does not get stressed. Very laid back but hard working. It's her parents who need the calm nerves!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have found schools very reasonable about clashes. Highgate and NLCS clashed last year and were very happy to accommodate.

With City coming out of the consortium this year there will be even more clashes in that second week in January that they all love so much. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

schoolrun wrote:Thank you for solid advice, purple duck...Even though, reading it all, it's such common sense, I'm surprised I hadn't considered all these points.

I have registered her for two schools so far - CLC and CLSG. I'll pause to check New Hall, Brentwood and Sevenoaks exam dates before doing anything further. I've attended open days for clsg and new hall last year, I'm attending Sevenoaks open day this Saturday and DD has an early assessment with CLC next month. (all for 2017 entry).

These five, plus 3x grammar 11+ exams (Essex, Chelmsford county and Medway) should be DD's capacity for exams/school hunting. She generally does not get stressed. Very laid back but hard working. It's her parents who need the calm nerves!

Presumably you are thinking about moving if your DD gets a grammar school place? Southend, Colchester, Chelmsford and the Medway Towns are all quite a distance apart, and unlike the indies mentioned, do not have boarding places.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
enema

Post by enema »

Another consideration could be having too much choice which can make decision making hard - if she passes all 8, you would have to decide quickly which to accept, which can be harder than predicted when faced with multiple offers. It could be stressful for you all.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

In terms of independent schools do bear in mind that as well as exam dates, there may be additional scholarship assessments as well as interviews (where the parents will be expected to be present). Whilst independent schools will be conscious that children are sitting for more than one school, again do not underestimate the amount of juggling involved, especially if some schools are at a distance. The Sevenoaks interview is fairly rigorous for example, and some children view it as demanding as an exam.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

schoolrun wrote:I have registered her for two schools so far - CLC and CLSG. I'll pause to check New Hall, Brentwood and Sevenoaks exam dates before doing anything further. I've attended open days for clsg and new hall last year, I'm attending Sevenoaks open day this Saturday and DD has an early assessment with CLC next month. (all for 2017 entry).

It looks like you are very well organised and ahead of your game, Schoolrun. :)

If you're looking to apply to 8 schools, does it mean your DD would have to sit 8 exams, or would the grammars be joint for all three of them? If it were to be 8 exams, I just wonder whether that's not too many... I totally understand you want to cover all bases - we did too - and I note your point about your DD not getting stressed, but the closer it gets to the exam dates, the more tension and pressure builds up and if your DD has a few friends at school going through 11+ at the same time, their stress might rub off on her.

Consider also the fact that the exams can be physically very draining and children often end up getting diminishing returns, i.e. it is likely that the last 2 or 3 exams may result in a weaker score; it is difficult for anyone to give their very best time after time, especially with dates close together. As Ladymuck points out, the interviews can be as demanding as the written exams, too, and they are a very important part of the selection process.

Would it be worth thinking about the number of schools again and focussing on those your DD would really want to get into and would have a sensible commute at the same time?

DG's comment about schools being sympathetic in case of clashes sounds promising. In fact, that reminded me of one school in our neck of the woods that offered a reserve date last January to those who had a clash with another exam, so others might have similar arrangements. In any case, I would simply ask each of the schools you're condsidering what their policy is in such cases.
schoolrun wrote:It's her parents who need the calm nerves!
I know exactly what you mean. You've got it spot on - it is so very important for parents to stay calm and relaxed in the run up to the exams. I didn't always find it very easy and I think my grey hair count may be a tad higher now... :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Hi Toadmum, the distance is a concern, and something I'm considering carefully. I'm not considering Colchester or Southend as those are beyond reach, distance-wise. However westcliff is 22 minutes when we did the drive on a relatively clear weekend so I'll double that to 40 minutes for a peak time weekday, which is not bad. Chelmsford is 25 mins on a clear day and I've done the drive during peak time in 40 mins. There's a coach apparently but I'm wary of coaches for that distance...it's over an hour with a coach. I was considering Sevenoaks for day, not boarding, as the proportion of boarders doesn't seem to be high enough. However, that's one I'd probably drop off the short list due to distance and the dreaded bridge. It's 35 mins on a clear day. I might also drop the Chelmsford county 11+ exam as it's for just the one school and their exam date clashes with Kent which has the closest grammars to us, distance-wise but nowhere near as high performing as the Essex grammars...on the other hand, Kent grammars mean using the dreaded bridge but at least they are non fee paying. Aaaargh!

No, we'd rather not move house. The more I think about it the more I think it's either Westcliff, city of London or boarding.

ToadMum wrote:
schoolrun wrote:Thank you for solid advice, purple duck...Even though, reading it all, it's such common sense, I'm surprised I hadn't considered all these points.

Presumably you are thinking about moving if your DD gets a grammar school place? Southend, Colchester, Chelmsford and the Medway Towns are all quite a distance apart, and unlike the indies mentioned, do not have boarding places.
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Thanks for all these other considerations. I hadn't factored in the separate dates for scholarship exams and interviews. I think reading these replies is already narrowing the playing field in my mind and focusing better. I guess I was concerned that if the exams don't go well for the schools that we really want, we don't want to be left with nothing! But realistically, that shouldn't happen if we're all well prepared.
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Yes, purple duck, it would've been 8 exams, now mentally whittled down to 5 - two grammars (Essex and Chelmsford county), clc, clsg and new hall.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

schoolrun wrote:Yes, purple duck, it would've been 8 exams, now mentally whittled down to 5 - two grammars (Essex and Chelmsford county), clc, clsg and new hall.
Best of luck for all of these, Schoolrun. :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now