independent offers and timeframe to accept

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: independent offers and timeframe to accept

Post by ToadMum »

Not wanting to put you off our local grammar school (WHSG, although DD is at SHSG), but if you are near the mainline from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford,the school is an easy walk from the station and would save you spending half your day driving up and down the A13 (or A12 - A127). SHSG is easy if you are anywhere near a c2c station. I think you are very wise to think again wrt relying on the Dartford Crossing as part of your DD's daily commute :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Brentwood school would be accessible by train too. New Hall is nowhere near Chelmsford train station, but perhaps there is a coach from east London or a shuttle bus from the station. We looked at New Hall a couple for my DD a couple of years ago and I remember the coach was quite expensive, about £450 - £500 a term, so you might want to check out travel costs too. I think both these schools have good reputations, but they would not be as difficult to gain a place at as the London schools, maybe you could pick one London and one Essex as back up, plus 2 grammars to cut down the list.
One of mine ended up with 4 offers + a scholarship and it was very hard to choose.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

New Hall runs transport from our neck of the woods (which surprised me, I have to say, but a lad who lives near us goes there and it would be a ridiculous journey to do in Mum's (or Dad's) taxi unless said parent happened to work in the vicinity). So they may pick up from the station, best to ask the school itself.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Thank you, sleepless and toad mum. I found the new hall journey a bit tricky to work out so was considering boarding, especially since their boarding fees compare favourably against CLC. Different category of schools, I know, but also, new hall scholarship potential seems more competitive than clc so if I had to fall on that as a back up, I would at least get the benefit of lower fees for a 'not bad at all' school. Brentwood on the other hand has fees that I'm not sure are commensurate with their reputation....still, a very very good school.

I take on board all these points, including he possibility of too many options if DD aces all the exams!