11+ disaster! Advice needed please!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Samson11

11+ disaster! Advice needed please!

Post by Samson11 »

I'm afraid my lovely boy has been unsuccessful at 11+. We did 5 schools and sadly have not received an offer. He's bright but not top sets-solid level 5 at the end of Year 6. Obviously way off 11+ standards in the competitive North London for boys.

He is very sporty so wants to go to Mill Hill. We have approached a few prep schools who have lost children at 11+ and he now has assessments booked at Keble, Lochinver, Lyndhurst House & The Academy. Does anyone know anything about these prep schools? What will the assessments be like? Are they wildly academic?

He is very sporty so Lochinver our first choice so far but it's hard to get excited about anything at the moment. I'd be really grateful if anyone has any advice on these schools or on what other ideas I should be trying. I know it's a first world problem but I'm losing sleep.
Guest55

Re: 11+ disaster! Advice needed please!

Post by Guest55 »

I've got a friend who has a son at Lochinver House; she speaks highly of it. The HT is an 'old boy' so has a real heart for the school.
Samson11

Post by Samson11 »

Lochinver has a great review on the Good Schools Guide and great grounds which is fantastic.
Do you know how academic it is? I know they have 3 sets.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, I don't know but I found this:

http://www.lochinverhouse.herts.sch.uk/ ... ips&pid=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Samson11

Post by Samson11 »

Wow! That looks great. Lots to St Alban's and Mill Hill. Mill Hill not wildly academic but very popular I think due to lack of choice!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know many boys at Lockinver. It is a very safe pair of hands. I know some boys at Keble too.

Lockinver certainly has a very strong relationship with St Albans. DG
Samson11

Post by Samson11 »

Thank you for your replies!

How academic are these preps? I'm worried he won't pass the assessments.
I'm assuming the assessments will be 11+ like? Has anyone had any experience of entering a prep at year 7?

Is there anything else I could try. We are possibly going to do late entry exams for a few schools. Thank you!
gazzag

Post by gazzag »

My son is currently in Y6 at Keble. Can't answer your question about Y7 entry, but can tell you that it is a lovely school. My son is extremely happy there and the school/pupil/parent partnership has worked perfectly for us.

The school has a very close relationship with St Albans. It's not unusual for half of the Y8 leavers to go to St Albans. Increasingly, there will be one or two boys each year who win scholarships to highly rated independent schools.

Sport. I think it is fair to say that Keble is not known for sporting excellence. That's not to say that they are not competitive and I believe that they are fairing better now in inter school competition than historically. Two games afternoons per week are off site at Winchmore Hill Cricket Ground less than 10 minutes away. First term is football. Second term is rugby. Third term is cricket, tennis and athletics. There is a fantastic House Athletics Championships at Pickets Lock at the end of the summer term.

Happy to answer more questions, either on open forum or by PM.
rebz

Post by rebz »

I know Keble fairly well, tho not the higher years. As Gazzag as said many boys go to St Albans, but they usually have a few go to Mill Hill if that is your preference.
It seems that with just 2 years, you would be best looking at which school can offer your son the extras that he likes - sport or music, and which school has the easiest journey. I know Keble have a mini bus service in the morning from whetstone I think, and I have seen a Lochinver mini bus at Southgate in the mornings.
I think both school would ensure your son had a place at 13+, so it would be the school that suits you both.
Samson11

Post by Samson11 »

That is great news re Keble. Everyone I've spoken to has said great things so I'm hoping my boy makes the cut! A couple of questions. You mentioned that your child was in Year 6 at Keble. Can you tell me how many boys were successful at 11+ and are leaving. I know there are spots but I'm not sure how many. The admissions lady has been amazing.

I'm coming from a outstanding large North London primary so I'm a bit worried he might be behind. Having said that I've heard Keble is mixed ability. If it is mixed ability then I'm fine. He just isn't top sets.

He can get to both fairly easily. Keble slightly easier but Lochinver seems better at sport. Oh God, I'm in ****! I thought the 11+ would be so hard.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now