Advice for my dd please!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Re: Advice for my dd please!

Post by Middlesexmum »

Exam mama - my dd is at St Helen's. If your dd loves gym she will love the annual Gym and Dance Display around March time. I was amazed by the standard, some of the girls compete at a very high level.
exam mama

Post by exam mama »

Hi all again.
Middlesexmum, that is very encouraging - makes me think that if a girl is bright, she will do well anywhere.
Also, dd has received a place at Watford Grammar - she was on waiting list before and we got the letter today. Any thoughts on that? She doesn't know much about the school, but have heard lots of positive feedback. But then again, lots of positive feedback for St H as well... Any feedback with regards to this much appreciated. Thx, exam mama
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

WG is a lovely school. I suggest you phone them and ask if you can arrange a visit. They will probably be there until Friday, Most Herts schools are continuing until Friday pm. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

The question is, what would you be paying £15,000 a year for when you can have a very similar education for free?? St Helen's does have lovely grounds though :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

exam mama wrote:Hi all again.
Middlesexmum, that is very encouraging - makes me think that if a girl is bright, she will do well anywhere.
Also, dd has received a place at Watford Grammar - she was on waiting list before and we got the letter today. Any thoughts on that? She doesn't know much about the school, but have heard lots of positive feedback. But then again, lots of positive feedback for St H as well... Any feedback with regards to this much appreciated. Thx, exam mama

I do have to gently say two things...one, why have you applied for a school that you haven't even looked round? and two, please make a decision quickly about this one as there will be a number of girls out there that do not have the luxury of parents who can afford to decide between two private schools and will be desperate for the option of Watford Grammar School. If you are not seriously considering it (which, if you haven't even looked round, it appears to be be) then please release the place as soon as possible so that the person who gets it can go to the induction days etc and relax over the summer term.
Disappointeddad

Post by Disappointeddad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
exam mama wrote:Hi all again.

I do have to gently say two things...one, why have you applied for a school that you haven't even looked round? and two, please make a decision quickly about this one as there will be a number of girls out there that do not have the luxury of parents who can afford to decide between two private schools and will be desperate for the option of Watford Grammar School. If you are not seriously considering it (which, if you haven't even looked round, it appears to be be) then please release the place as soon as possible so that the person who gets it can go to the induction days etc and relax over the summer term.
+1
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Middlesexmum wrote:The question is, what would you be paying £15,000 a year for when you can have a very similar education for free?? St Helen's does have lovely grounds though :D
Honestly, to say that one can have "a very similar education for free" really does miss the point on so many levels. There is almost nothing "very similar" about the educations on offer. Perhaps if one limits oneself to league table results there might be a case to be made (is there?), but that apart, the "lovely grounds" are just the beginning of the differences!
Loopy
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

What would you say are the differences loopyloulou?
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I am interested in this too, we have made the decision to move one child to independent for Sixth form, our first experience of that sector (yes I know, "state schools are better,etc etc", just trust me we have a very sane motivation).

What differences will we see do you think?

I've already noticed that parents are more welcome, more often into the school.

what else?

academically
extra-curricular
other

Edited to add quotation marks
Last edited by silverysea on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

silverysea wrote:I am interested in this too, we have made the decision to move one child to independent for Sixth form, our first experience of that sector (yes I know, state schools are better,etc etc, just trust me we have a very sane motivation).

What differences will we see do you think?

I've already noticed that parents are more welcome, more often into the school.

what else?

academically
extra-curricular
other
What on earth makes you think"£state schools are better"???

Thats is bad if this website has made people feel that only state can be better. Not true! Some state schools are better, some indies are better!" It depends entirely on what the comparisons are and some indies will be better in each category, and some state schools will be better in each category.

We cannot generalise and I'm sure you have made a great decision for you child.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now